Pool Frog Problem

Jun 6, 2011
Hello, I am a new pool owner and noticed that my chlorine has been getting low (even after a shock). I checked the "pool frog" and noticed it was out of chlorine tabs. I did not have another "frog bac pac" so I thought I could put the empty pac back in and still run the filter. When I tried water started shooting out of the "pool frog" (while covered). I later realized that I did not turn the dial (on the frog) to the "replace pak" setting. When I get a full pak will this problem be gone or did I do some damage with my stupidity?

Welcome to TFP!

The best and most recommended Pool Frog intervention here at TFP is to stop using the Pool Frog. They add metals to your water and this causes staining and interesting hair colors. Stop using it.

Please read Pool School and consider getting a high quality test kit. It will save you $$$$ and your water will be better for it. :goodjob:

Sounds like you didn't get the top back on correctly or the o-ring got out of track. Running an empty bac pak is the best thing you can do with a Pool Frog. Take the top back off and check and lube the o-ring and put it all back together.

I've had the "Frog" chlorinator system for over 10 years now, and I have found it to be a very efficient way to feed chlorine to my pool. I stopped purchasing the incredibly expensive "pacs" many years ago, instead filling the old cartridge with 1 inch tabs that I buy at a local Leslies Pool store. I also have the PCC 2000 in ground cleaning system, so my pool stays crystal clear all of the time.

Reactions: Machiavelli777
jerrypar72 said:
I've had the "Frog" chlorinator system for over 10 years now, and I have found it to be a very efficient way to feed chlorine to my pool. I stopped purchasing the incredibly expensive "pacs" many years ago, instead filling the old cartridge with 1 inch tabs that I buy at a local Leslies Pool store. I also have the PCC 2000 in ground cleaning system, so my pool stays crystal clear all of the time.
Have you tested your CYA level recently? I bet it's real high.

Richard320 said:
jerrypar72 said:
Have you tested your CYA level recently? I bet it's real high.

I am new to this site. How do you put the tabs in the cartridge for the pool frog?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was not the kind of pool frog problem I had imagined when I read the title :) Although none of the frogs in my pool are good at dispensing chlorine, either! :)

We used to have a very bad pool frog problem due to the fresh water pond 50 feet from our pool. Since we have converted to a SWCG we almost never see them around the pool anymore. The salt water seems to stun them and kills them if we don't get them out of the skimmers fast enough. For the most part they just never come near it anymore. The turtles avoid it now too. Fortunately the alligators are too big to fit under the fences. I wish I could say the same for the salt water spiders.... big (3/4 inch sized) hairy brown ones are in the skimmers every day now... I think they like their dinners lightly salted....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.