Is TA of around 250 a bad thing?

pbeach

Jun 6, 2011
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I'm converting my vinyl 40,000 gal inground (baker hydro 50 sq foot cart filter) from Baquacil. I had used Baq for several years, starting with great results and ending wish bad results. In the end, the real reason I switch is to save myself from $250 trips to the pool store... 5 or 6 times a season.

At any rate, opened the pool, pH was right, so I started the perpetual shock of 15ppm FC. First day was constant adding, has been eating it more slowly now, so I guess everything is working. I purchased the recommended test kit and have been using that and the pool calc for numbers.

One potential problem. My water has always been very alcaline, both times I ran the TA test it came out around 250 (CH is also high at 280). Will this cause problems?

Regards,

Phil B

Welcome to TFP!

In the midst of your conversion from baq to chlorine, a high TA isn't really worth dealing with. What matters is your pH. Finish your conversion and then you can address the TA.

What he said. Clear it first, then worry.

CH of 280 is like my tap water at certain times of the year! I'd love to have my pool that low! TA can be reduced with acid and aeration. But be sure you're completely done with the conversion before you worry about anything else. Worrying about TA during a baquagoo conversion is like worrying about your manicure while undergoing chemotherapy. It can wait.

Well I ignored the TA for now as recommended and got the pH into the proper range with some acid.
It's been about 5 days now, pool was milky green with maybe a foot of visibility. Now the pool is blue, clear, sparkling, and nearly spotless. It's really working out nicely, thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.