Newbie: AG Pool with Intex SWG

Jun 6, 2011
I just purchased a Swim 'n Play 18'x33'x52" oval AG pool from Sam's Club and I'm working on getting it installed in the backyard. My wife has several people she works with who have praised their salt water systems, so I purchased the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Water Sanitizing system, because we did not want the hassle of keeping up with chlorine.

I have read that salt water systems void the warranty on AG pools. Now, I'm not so much worried about the warranty, I don't realistically expect this pool to last 30 years. But, I don't want to destroy a brand new pool in a year or two because I used salt system.

Are the salt systems OK for AG pools, or should I take the Intex system back and just stick with chlorine?

Also, are some SWG systems better than others when it comes to corrosion and AG pools (e.g. AutoPilot)?

Thanks,

Bruce

Swim 'n Play Galveston 18'x33'x52" AG Pool
1 1/2 HP Sand Filter
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Water Sanitizing System

All SWG are intended to perform the same task in the same way, some just have more bells and whistles. The risk of corrosion, if used and maintained properly is so much lower than you are warned about. I have had salt in this pool for several years and have not seen more corrosion than the pool we had no salt in.

When using the Intex system, remember to disconnect the copper mechanism - you do not want metals in your pool. The system works quite well with that disconnected and you will not have "green hair" or staining problems - btw, metals, not chlorine cause those issues.

I have an Intex and last year was our first official swimming season and the first time we hooked up the unit. I love it! It's true it's a bare bones basic SWG, but what more do you really need? It does the job well and for the price can't be beat. For me it's not worth the $$ to step up to a more sophisticated model when this one does the job just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.