Troubleshooting return leak for above ground pool

rsharp

Jun 12, 2010
im putting n a new liner. i have the two seals for the intake and i have the two seals for the return. last year i still had small leaks though. is there anything you can put on the seals to make the seal even stronger.

Re: sealing the intake and return

You can use silicone but I don't recommend it. The best thing to do is put the gaskets in the proper order and tighten them down correctly. It usually doesn't require a lot of force to get them to seal. When putting the skimmer in don't tighten the screws down until you have them all in and snugged up. Then tighten them from the center out alternating top and bottom, side to side.

should i lube the return along with plumbers tape?

just installed new liner. water is filled pretty high. its at the point to where i can install the intake and the return. my question is: when i screw together the return do i just use plumbers tape or should i use plumbers tape and lube. or should i just use lube.

the reason im asking is because we kept having a steady drop of water coming from the return. THANKS TFP!!!!!

i tell everyone at the poll stores about this site!!!!!!

Re: should i lube the return along with plumbers tape?

The paste is for threaded fittings. If you have hoses and barbed fittings you can use silicone caulking on them and it helps. You have to let it dry before exposing it to water. It's hard to get off once it's cured but it can be done.

Re: im confused!!

O.k. so the larger piece fits inside the pool and the smaller piece screws into it from the outside, correct? Do you use a nut outside the pool to secure the larger piece to the pool wall?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: HELP

If sand only went into the pool just once that is alright. But if it does that again, something is wrong. Really, sand shouldn't ever get into the pool, but now and then when you are first setting things up some sand gets into the wrong place and ends up in the pool.

The black gasket should seal tightly to the pool. The key thing is the gasket on the water side of the wall and how well it seals to the liner. The black gasket on the outside is much less important. The gasket should be free of any nicks or cuts and clean. Any dirt or debris can prevent it from sealing properly. You can also have problems if any of the plastic parts crack, which can happen if you tighten it down too much.

There should not be anything between the outside pool wall and the black gasket. It looks like you may have some pipe dope under there, so clean it off if you do. The pipe dope is to lubricate and fill in the threads when pipes are screwed together. It helps seal threaded connections by allowing them to be screwed together more completely and filling in any tiny gaps where the two pipes are screwed together to prevent leaks. It will not make a watertight bond between to flat pieces of material.

Either clean or replace the black gasket and re-install it on the outside of the pool. You can use a little pipe dope on the nut that holds the return fitting to the pool wall but not on the gasket. Snug the nut a 1/4 turn past hand tight. If the connection still leaks, plug the return and dry the outside area well. Apply a bead of clear silicone caulk around the outside edge of the return and allow to cure as per package directions. Then unplug the return and test for leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.