New pool start up question

DLSDO

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Midwest
They are acid washing the pebble sheen today and will start filling this afternoon. It is 60's during the day and upper 30's to 40's at night. It will be a month or so before the first hard freeze. They don't plan to start up the pool until next week. Is it okay to sit full of water till next week? Or should I put some bleach in until they get it started up? I will not have a brush etc..until they start me up also. Will the pebble sheen be okay? Its Thursday and the pool won't be full till late on Friday probably. Should I try to get someone to start it up over the weekend?

Also... they want me to keep the pool open for a month to get it balanced and care for the pebble sheen then close for the winter. Brrrrrrr Is new pool opening in this climate any different than spring startup? I have my TF test kit, BBB, MA, and skimmer socks ready to go!

I am so excited...even though it won't be until spring till we swim

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Hi, Dave,

I don't have enough experience to give really solid advice on start-up. Others with more experience will chime in soon.

Logic tells me letting it sit for a week is not as good as making something positive happen sooner. For sure, keep an eye on your pH and a little chlorine (say 2-4ppm as a maintenence level) will not hurt. In fact, posting a full set of test numbers (save your CYA test....you obviously don't have any) would be a good idea and let you get a little practice testing with the kit.

It seems to me they could supply you with a brush and some instructions to let you get going but I'll defer to others with the experience.

Congratulations!! :lol:

Waiting a week to start up on new plaster seems 'off' to me, but then again, I have no real experience with plaster pools... I would think you need to be checking your CH and pH at least, and brushing, but I could be wrong. I guess it would be tough to brush if they don't bring the brush... I would ask for it now.

***You CAN start it yourself, with the help of the good folks here! That way you can be sure you don't put anything 'bad' into your water!!***

Just say the word and we are here to help!!!

The startup process for fresh plaster varies depending on water temperature. Letting the pool sit for a week would never work in the summer but can be fine if the water is cold enough. The main issue with fresh plaster is to keep an eye on the PH and don't let it get above 7.8. If the water is cold the PH will climb very slowly or not at all, if it is warmer you might be adding acid twice a day. A couple of days of testing the PH and you will figure out where in that range you are and how much attention the pool requires.

I agree with Dave and Mermaid. It would be best, with a pebble/plaster pool to get your pH in check and be brushing (at least 1-2 times a day). Your pH is going to rise due to the curing of plaster (maybe not as much with cooler temp.). No need to worry too much about algae formation in a week with your air temperatures that you reported.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

I called my PB and they are gonna try to get me started up late tommorrow (Friday), Monday at the latest.

I can't wait to start testing the water. I will likely post a set of numbers for alittle help.

Thanks again to everyone...this site has truly been invaluable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.