Hi i am new here and have some questions and need some i.d.

Jun 6, 2011
I currently have a 22K pool that is an above ground vinyl liner. I have had the pool running for a few years now.1.. I was doing some research on this spotty thick algae that appeared last year... I originally thought it was mustard algae. I have been trying to keep my Chlorine levels up higher and run my pool more this year to correct the problem with no luck yet.
Last year i did not run my pump enough as it was a crazy year for me, it is catching up with me with this algae. It is a white color and when it is scrubbed off it is thick 1/8" thick and green on the bottom. i notice chunks in my pump strainer when i clean it. It almost looks like white paint chips ( i attached a picture. )

After my research and reading I saw the BBB... I have been spending countless $$ every year for chlorine tablets and Pool Shock....
Does the bleach cut out the need for the tablets and for the shock?

I tested my water
alkalinity was 230+
PH was 7.8
FC was 3

I added acid and
got my alkalinity to 170
ph dropped quite a bit 6.6-6.8?
FC same 3

what should i do differently?

I have been shocking with hth shock couple times a week to get the levels up using 3-4lbs each time
I have also added 3" chlorine tablets to the skimmer to keep levels high as well as the floater.

Attachments

• alg.JPG
    alg.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 176
  • algae.JPG
    algae.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 176
Re: Hi i am new here and have some questions and need some i

that is stabilizer...right? I guess my home depot test kit dont test for that.... i have been using stablized chlorine tablets, and i have not noticed a big loss in chlorine? But i have been using lots of tablets...

I guess i need a better test kit?

Yes, the bleach does cut out the need for tablets and shock. We recommend the TF100 test kit. There is a link to the site to purchase it in JasonLions signature, it's not sold anywhere else. In the meantime you could take a water sample to a local pool store for testing. Tell them you need to know your CYA and CC numbers.

Ok, sorry for the delay...

Here is my test results

ph 7.5
alk 125
stabilizer 40
FC 3
CC 3.5

I have just started learing on the bbb... I have just started using bleach. in the past i have always chlorinated with 3" tablets, and shocked weekly using "shock and swim" Just not sure at what levels i should keep my chlorine to get rid of this algae. Also with using bleach how often do you need to dose to keep chlorine levels at an acceptable level?

What kind of pucks and shock were you using? Most have either cya or calcium in them which can build up over time and cause you problems.

I'm really surprised that your cya (stabilizer) is only reading 40... if you have been using pucks/tablets and shock products you are most likely introducing lots of the stuff. Cya is not something that is used up in the pool like chlorine, it is constant unless it is splashed out or drained out.

You really should invest in a good test kit.. There are a couple recommend on this site and they will save you $$$$ in the long run. Will save you in time too... you won't have to make a trip to the pool store for a test result every time you need one (pool stores are notorious for being incorrect too). I love my testkit! You don't have to be a chemist to run it... it's quick to learn how to use and you'll be glad you made the investment. :testkit:

Put your pool specs in your signature so people can more easily help you. It helps to know the size of your pool to help determine chemical levels for your pool. The pool calculator is a wonderful resource, as is the pool school here.

Read through the pool school.. you will need to shock your pool to rid it of the algae. Shocking your pool is not a product... it's a process that can take a day, to wks depending on the severity of the situation.

I question your pool store results because I don't believe your CC can be higher than your FC.. someone correct me if I'm wrong. I also wonder if your cya (stablizer) is correct.. unless you've been using the calcium products and not the cya ones.

hth Pace Dual Action 3in Chlorinating Tablets.... protect against bacteria and algae, and are sun-protected for extended chlorine life. this is what i am using..
i have 2 test kits, 1 is for chlorine, ph, alkalinity, Acid demand
The other test is strips ( i know they are not as accurate ) but stabilizer was shown "low" so i took to pool store and the above test was there results.

my pool is around 22k gallons

How do you switch over completely to the bbb. I dont understand fully. I am wondering how you keep chlorine in your pool? Do you need to add bleach every few days? just not to shock level?

To get rid if these algae spots do i need to keep my at high chlorine levels.? how high?

oh i have been shocking my pool pretty regularly trying to get rid of algae with no luck.

OKIEMIKE said:
How do you switch over completely to the bbb. I dont understand fully. I am wondering how you keep chlorine in your pool? Do you need to add bleach every few days? just not to shock level?

To switch, you simply stop using pool store chemicals other than CYA and liquid chlorine (bleach). No pucks.

Yes, you do add bleach every day. It's not too difficult, takes about 5 minutes. Pucks are for vacation.

To get rid if these algae spots do i need to keep my at high chlorine levels.? how high?

Yes, you need to shock. Especially since you've got high combined chlorine of 3.5. You are done shocking when you have less than .5ppm combined chlorine (CC), you pass the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT, i.e. you loose 1ppm or less of CL overnight), and the water is clear. 3 criteria, none independent of the other.

oh i have been shocking my pool pretty regularly trying to get rid of algae with no luck.

You probably haven't shocked it because you'd have to make sure you get your chlorine up to 15ppm to actually shock. And then you have to KEEP it there till you're done shocking. This requires testing every hour or so, and adding chlorine to raise the pool back to 15ppm every hour. In reality, this should only take a day of constant vigilance like that, maybe two I guess but the results of maintaining the correct shock level should actually "handle" the problem quickly because you never let it get low so all the chlorine you've got in there can actually work on killing the algae. It's a never ending battle if you don't maintain shock level because you're always re-killing algae that just grows back when the CL goes below shock.

The green algae on the bottom of the pool verifies that it is growing back. If it were dead, it would not be green.

Your chlorine levels for your CYA are: minimum 3 (end of day), target 7 (before bed, and in am), shock 15.

So, for example:
To shock that pool from 0 to 15ppm you will need to add 5 gallons 1 quart, or 5.3 (128 oz) jugs of 6% bleach. To raise chlorine 1ppm in any situation (shocking or not) you will add 1 quart 1 cup 6 oz of 6% bleach. So, let's say you shock, and in an hour (because the chlorine is performing murder on the algae) it's down to 13ppm. You then add 2 quarts plus 3 cups of bleach. Test in another hour, maybe you loose 1ppm. Add 1 quart 1 cup 6 oz of bleach and do it again in an hour. When you stop loosing chlorine, you've hit the first milestone to completing the shocking process. Then you maintain shock level, run/clean filters full time, brush, and watch the water be cloudy with little white/grey particles floating around. In a few days all that dead algae will be filtered out (maintain shock level!) and it'll pop up one morning clear as can be.

That's how to shock, and if you do it this way soon less and less chlorine will be lost in an hour, and eventually it will not loose any. You won't have to maintain the hourly vigilance too long, because maintaining actually speeds up the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Very nice, thanks for your help.... I am trying to justify this method instead of the puck/super shock method.. That will be lots of beach to have around, and even generic is not too cheap... So is 1 gal of bleach about the same as 1 bag of pool shock (hth). How long should i maintain shock level several days? Can it be swam in at this high shock level?

Why do i have this algae in the first place? Is 2-3 ppm of chlorine not acceptable?

I'm going to send you over to Pool School, first to read how to shock:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

There's not a time to maintain shock, there's a set of criteria you meet until you are done with the shock process.

If you have algae, it is clear your free chlorine level has been dropping below the minimum range. There's really no other reason for it.

No, you don't swim at shock level.

Look at it this way, if you think YOU need a lot of chlorine, imagine how much it takes me at exactly 2x the size! You can do it! :)

With CYA at 40, day to day FC levels are 3 to 7, and never below 3. FC around 2 is just slightly too low, likely to cause algae that almost gets started but is quickly killed, which seems to be what is happening here.

Unfortunately it's when people use pucks and powdered shock product that things go awry. Your CYA is right where it should be, you don't want it to go higher. But if you use powdered/solid chlorine like you desire, it will.

10ppm more of CYA raises your minimum and target by 1 more ppm. 10ppm of CYA from tablets and shock powder could occur in a week. So, unless you want to raise your minimum and target dosing amounts by 1ppm every week all summer, I'd suggest to stop all forms of powdered/solid chlorine.

Liquid chlorine (12.5%) from the pool store might be what you want to use instead of 6% bleach because it's twice the strength. It may be cheaper as well, I've seen people around here say it can be had for $2.99/gallon. Walmart brand bleach is like $2.60/1.5 gallon (I think), so that is a little cheaper.

We did tabs and shock product for the first 3 years we had pools. There was ALWAYS something not quite right with the pool and we spent way too much time messing with it adding this or that whereas now... all I do is add bleach every night. There are benefits other than cost to the BBB method, take those into account and it IS cheaper. Time is worth money, there are no refunds on time.

Unfortunately for me, I can't even find 10% or 12% around here. I guess it just depends on where you live.

The 96 oz bottles of bleach are $2 here. I think it's $3.70 for the 186 bottle, or it was last time I got them on sale. Clorox at Costco is cheap too, I forget the price at the moment.

Headed out now to refill the liquidator, check my chems, and have a cold one by the pool! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.