1 toe in for awhile, now I'm in all the way.

Aug 7, 2009
I've used so much information on this site for 3 years now, have made a few posts, but must admit I haven't gone full-bore until this weekend. I have been depending on pool store tests for 3 years, and am getting tired of it. Finally ordered my TF-100 yesterday, got excited, and went and picked up 12 gallons of Aldi bleach, just to prepare myself.

I have been dealing with chlorine demand for a couple weeks now, and tired of buying expensive shock and tabs. In the meantime, I've gotten a case of water mold (really gross to look at), and figured it's time to hit it HARD with some bleach, lest the kids morph into alien beings because of substandard water balancing.

So, I guess I can say now that I'm almost a true BBB'r, and ready to cut loose of the pool store, even though they're good folks.

Thanks Duraleigh, for what I anticipate to be an excellent product, that will allow me to save time, and of course, gas money for the trips to the pool store!

Greg

When you start doing your own tests, there are some precautions. Don't wear steel-toed shoes when you test your water.

You're liable to hurt yourself badly when you start kicking yourself.

:mrgreen: It's so much easier to run your own tests and track things than it is to run to the pool store. Cheaper, too. If, say, TA has been 140 +/- for the last three tests and you haven't done anything extreme since then, and it suddenly jumps to 250, you'll be able to say, "That don't look right!", repeat the test, and say, "Much better. I don't need to add three $35 pails of snake oil today." Your chemical demands and expenses will drop, the water will be sparkling, and soon you'll be cursing yourself for waiting so long to buy the kit.

Please tell me I'm not looney. TF-100 showed up today, peeled that sucker open, and got to work.

I honestly didn't think it was this bad.

Most recent test results, 5 minutes ago:

FC: 9
CC: 2
CYA: 80
TA: 80
pH: 6.8

Anyway, CYA has me confused, but will probably revert back to the pool store. My first test with them about a month ago stated 30. Last weekend, they mentioned it didn't even register because I had no FC (odd, isn't it?)

I have dumped 24 96 oz. jugs of bleach in, and I'm not even close to my shock value of 21. I know that most of this is related to a high CYA, but this just seems excessive.

I'm now out of bleach, and pretty sure the FC that's in there will decrease overnight. Back to Aldi, I guess.

And the bonus question....one heaping scoop of the DPD powder....how heaping should this scoop be?

Let me know if I'm screwing up somewhere.

Greg

If you have mold, I'd say your numbers look better than expected!

What's the CH? You'll need that to calculate Calcium Saturation Index. If CSI is negative, you won't care with a vinyl pool. But if it's +.6 or above, you run the risk of scaling. And...and... if you aren't way up there on CH, you can use Calcium Hypochlorite to shock. Lighter weight. No raised eyebrows when you strip the shelf bare.

DDP powder: just scoop using the tiny spoon so you get a well-rounded heap.
You must have a killer mold problem! Good luck.

You're gonna burn through FC for a little while. You need to have plenty of bleach on hand. If the people at the store aren't looking at you funny when you leave, you didn't buy enough! Once you're through the worst of it, your bleach usage will drop off significantly.

Wow....we used to say that about the liquor store in college.

I can completely see myself blowing through Aldi's entire stockpile. Glad it's cheap.

I wouldn't know what a killer mold problem is....never had it before. Just looks like big blobs of snot floating around.

I'm going to go test here in a bit, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll post new numbers later.

Greg

I think I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow.

Assuming that it's a bad sign if the water remains clear after I add the DPD powder......

Guessing the pool just ate 24 jugs of bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is getting brutal, but getting close.

Need to get to a shock value of 21. Just added another gallon, after coming in with a 16. I got it to 20 a couple hours ago, but went back down.

Latest results:

FC: 16
CC: 1
TA: 40 (this went down, but will readjust when shocking is finished).
CYA: 80

I can smell the end coming soon, let's hope. Let me know if I'm right.....finish shocking, then adjust the TA/pH?

By the way, Rambler, I took the OTO test a bit ago. Way yellow....so there's obviously some FC in there.

Greg

The OTO test is a go/no-go test. I suggest it whenever you've added a lot of chlorine and none shows up on the other tests. The OTO test will always turn some shade of yellow no matter how much chlorine is in the water. I use it as a sanity check.

10-4. I've been using the drop test pretty much the entire time. I guess that's my sanity check, since the wife thinks I'm color blind anyway.

Testing in 2 minutes. Will post later.

Just about finished. Water looks like glass. Best it's looked in years. No joke.

Latest results:

FC: 20
CC: .5
TC: 20.5
TA: 40

Just finished my final shock, in the effort to get CC below .5. I know, probably not necessary, but want to make sure this water mold is out.

I know I did it backwards, but will do my best to adjust pH, then on to TA.

BBB is a little nerve-wracking when you've relied on others for 3 years. Just makes me believe that my chlorine levels have NEVER been where they are supposed to be. 46 96 oz. jugs in 3 days? I think I tapped Aldi's last pallet of bleach.

Greg

Hi, Greg,

You have done a nice job getting your pool in shape and getting a good grasp of BBB. Yeah, that's a good slug of chlorine but, disappointingly (or not :shock: ), you are not at record levels. Some folks have really, REALLY had to use some chlorine. Nevertheless, that was a respectable dose :lol:

Get your pH up into the 7's with 20 mule team borax and then calculate enough baking soda to get about 80-90% of your target TA. Retest. YOu may need to make some small adjustments but you look like you're cruisin' into a troublefree summer! :mrgreen:

Thanks, Dave. I sure hope so.

Final dose of shocking resulted in the following:

FC: 22
CC: Negligible.

Just dumped in 2 lbs of pH increaser (I bought a bunch of the Dupont stuff from Lowe's on closeout), but will pick up some washing soda next trip to the store.

Will wait on that test, then will dump in a copious amount of baking soda to even that out.

Will post results later.

Richard320 said:
When you start doing your own tests, there are some precautions. Don't wear steel-toed shoes when you test your water.

You're liable to hurt yourself badly when you start kicking yourself.

:mrgreen: It's so much easier to run your own tests and track things than it is to run to the pool store. Cheaper, too. If, say, TA has been 140 +/- for the last three tests and you haven't done anything extreme since then, and it suddenly jumps to 250, you'll be able to say, "That don't look right!", repeat the test, and say, "Much better. I don't need to add three $35 pails of snake oil today." Your chemical demands and expenses will drop, the water will be sparkling, and soon you'll be cursing yourself for waiting so long to buy the kit.

Richard---why did I wait so long to order a test kit? I've been cursing myself over the past few days, just like you mentioned. Pretty happy to have a well-maintained, and a DA*N fine looking pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.