Cloudy water after ascorbic acid treatment - Scum/Slime

rmklaw

Aug 27, 2009
I did the AA treatment as recommended last Friday. My Chlorine levels stayed at 0 and my PH went to 6.6. After the stains (extensive throughout the pool) faded for the most part, I put three bottles of Jack's Magic purple (30,000 gal salt water) and plenty of Polyquat 60. The pool stayed clearthrough Saturday at which time a cleaned the filter and grids completely.

On Sunday morning the water turned milky cloudy (does not look like algae). I slowly started raising the PH by adding Soda Ash. Right now the PH is sitting at 7 and the Chlorine still at .5 (the Pool Pilot is only running at 20%). However the pool water still very cloudy.

Is the cloudiness normal after the AA tratment, adding Jack's magic, Soda Ash and Polyquat?
Should I do something else or be concerned?

Thanks.

Re: CLOUDY WATER AFTER ASCORBIC ACID TREATMENT

Thanks. At what point do I try to raise the FC faster? I have the chlorinator at 40% adnd added also 3 pucks, but my chlorine remains at 0.5% after 2 days since AA. Should I shock or continue going slow?

I am also seeing bubbles on the surface, such as those you see when water is soft. Thanks.

Re: Cloudy water after ascorbic acid treatment

Sorry to keep asking questions.

1. I just checked again the FC and TC and they are both 0.5. Don't seem to be able to raise them.

2. Also, I noticed in the skimmer, what looks like slime floating. Is that a byproduct of what I am doing or is there a posibility that it may be algae starting? I have used two bottles of Polyquat 60 in the last three days. The last bottle, yesterday.

3. Should I keep adding Polyquat, just in case? I just did start a boost cycle on the Chlorinator.

Thanks.

Re: Cloudy water after ascorbic acid treatment

There will tend to be excess chlorine demand at first, as the chlorine and any remaining ascorbic acid destroy each other. Have a care with using boost, as once the AA is used up the chlorine level could shoot up and cause the stains to return.

It is difficult to say if the slime means anything or not.

Help......This is what the pool looks like. You can see the cloudiness and the bubbles forming (almost like foaming). I noticed that the bubbles are like scum. The skum is forming in the skimmer. I removed it by hand and the net. Can't figure out which chemical is doing it. Hopefully is not algae.

HELP - CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS?

If you look at my previous post, I did an AA treatment followed by 3 qts of Jack's Magic Purple and 2 qts of Polyquat 60. Stains lifted but the pictures show what the pool looks like now. I don't know what it is or if it is normal. My chemistry now is:
FC 2.0
TC 2.0
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 308
CYA 40
SALT 2900

Can someone give me ideas before my wife kills me? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HELP - Heavy Foaming Continues after ascorbic acid treatment

Foaming is worse this morning. It has been 5 days since AA treatment. I still cannot get the FC levels up.

FC is 0
TC is 2.5
CYA has dropped to 11
TA 110
PH is 7.4
Phosphates 300
Salt 2900

The only place I see green algae is the flow meter sight tube. Can I now shock the pool to get rid of the TC/CC or possible algae? Any suggestions? Thanks. :grrrr:

Update: Cloudy water after ascorbic acid treatment - Scum/Sl

Ten fays after the AA treatment the pool has finally clear. However, my FC and TC still remain close to zero, notwithstanding the constant addition of liquid chlorine (one galon every other day), my SWG at 75%.

My readings are:

FC 0.34
TC 0.46
TA 90
CH 300
CYA 50
Salt 3000
Sequestrant Agent 6ppm

Any suggestions? Thanks.

You need to add chlorine more quickly, possibly shock the pool, until you can pass the overnight FC loss test (OCLT), see here.

Once you pass the OCLT, you should raise CYA to around 70 to 80, which will significantly help the SWG keep up with the chlorine demand.

Jason: I just added 1 galon of liquid chlorine. I will circulate it for an hour and at sundown I will take the first reading for the OCLT test. Depending what I see tomorrow morning, I will proceed with the shock. I had been avoiding going too fast because of the metal treatment with AA. It is now over 10 days so hopefully it should be safe to shock.

Last night I added liquid chlorine and measured FC 6.75 and TC 7.74. Early this morning the FC was 4.65 and TC 5.35. Had a 2.0 loss overnight. I guess, I will have to shock to rid of whatever is eating the chlorine.

Using digital colorimeter and LaMotte chemicals. best I can do. I do not have FAS-DPD. I added 1 1/2 gal of bleach again today and got FC 7.75 and TC 8.95. Pool looks clear and no signs of algae. Keeping the PH low at 7.2 to avoid staining and also added maintenance dose of Jack's Magic Magenta.

My goal is to get to the point of maintaining FC at 3 with my CYA at 50 and CH at 80. I am starting to suspect that I still have some residue of the ascorbic acid eating away at the chlorine (it's been 13 days since treatment).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.