Underwater light leaking Help

Jun 6, 2011
I have a 16 x 32' in-ground vinyl liner pool with a Hayward underwater light. My pool has been leaking fast and a leak detection guy has found that the underwater light niche has corroded away and is paper thin that when you touch it your finger goes through the metal. He tried to patch it with putty but it is so bad that all attempts by two different divers have failed. Someone told me that I will have to go for a whole new liner which I can't afford and don't need as the existing one has a few years left. I don't care about using the light anymore so is there a cheaper way to repair this? If I have to replace the niche I assume the liner will have to be pulled down to get access and then does it install from the inside of the pool or do I have to dig behind it to replace it??? Is there an easier way to stop the leak other than replacing the niche?? Perhaps by just putting a plate over the opening and then just gluing a piece of liner on to the existing liner over the cut out area. I would very much appreciate any help anyone could give me with a solution to this problem as I can't use the pool. Thanks.

I won't say you have too many options here but will give my opinion. If a light niche has corroded and it's a viny liner pool, you MAY be able to remove the fixture and put a vinyl patch over the hole, depending on the size. Keep in mind that this can leak again if someone hits it. You could drain the pool down to just under the light dry, patch and refill. I have patched holes larger before, but no guarantee on how long that will last. There are many other pool professionals here who may have come across this more often that I do since almost all inground pools here are gunite. You should have some more answers soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.