50.2 KB · Views: 1,606
  • IMG_1446001.jpg
    IMG_1446001.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_1438001.jpg
    IMG_1438001.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,606
Another Midwesterner....yea!

What a peaceful lookin' retreat you have there. Like the interior pool color.

Is that one of those maintenance free decks?

Your landscaping is very nice.

I suppose your closed up for the winter. Getting kinda cold in Joliet...eh?

Nice pool and yard, Dan. About as peaceful looking as you can get.

I had the same questions about the decking material. I'm considering the same....how old is yours and how pleased have you been with it?

Very nice set up! I was also wondering if it is composite decking. Ours has been up since April and we LOOOOOOVE it.

Thanks for the kind words, all :)

I did use composite decking, Trex. The larger part of the deck has been up for two years now with relatively no problems. The only issue we've had is some mold growing on the surface...but we just cleaned that with a light bleach solution (;)) and it didn't need any other attention. The "upper" part of the deck is used as the entry to the pool and was done this year. I used a concealed fastener system that really worked/looks great.

So far...the decking material has been great. I was tired of staining every couple of years and needed a change. I had to look up the IPE material and must say that I have nothing that nice! Now that would make a gorgeous deck! :shock:

We haven't closed up yet...I've been sooooo busy! I know that I had better get moving on it, with all the leaves falling. I have to try out one of those new mesh covers :) (thanks)

thanks all,
dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JET4 said:
Does the composite decking get hot under bare feet ? I've heard some people say it does.

:!: ours is a dark color and WOW does it get hot! I was actually thinking of flaking a black garden hose that's piped in parallel with the pump to use some of that heat throughout the day. Maybe I'll just throw my solar panel on there next year.

dan

Gonefishin, would you mind telling me how tall your pool is and how high the lower deck is? I'm about to build a deck and want to do something like yours, not going all the way up to the top of the pool. Nice deck and pool!

Thanks

kmb997 said:
Gonefishin, would you mind telling me how tall your pool is and how high the lower deck is? I'm about to build a deck and want to do something like yours, not going all the way up to the top of the pool. Nice deck and pool!

Thanks

Hi Kmb997 :) Thanks for the kind words. The AGP is a 54" deep model. But the side that is near the deck is partially sunken underground (how much...I'm not sure). I'm not sure about the measurements, but I could check tomorrow when I get off work.

dan

No P in my ool said:
Very nice pool and deck. I want to build my deck like your set up,the wife wants the deck level with the pool. Hopefully your pictures will change her mind.

my wife wasn't sure about the deck plan either. She thought we needed a much larger area up near the pool. There's plenty of room for two to three chairs up top and room to use the deck as an entrance to the pool. But she wanted to have room to lay out near the pool. My reply was that there was plenty of room on the deck below. Since the lower deck was built before the pool, the choice (to me) was obvious what I wanted to do...and it wasn't build a lower deck that I just redid two years before. All in all...I'm really happy with the two tier design. Even if I did arrive at the decision out of necessity ;)

dan

Deck info...

The bottom deck is 19'x18' and is 14" high. The top deck is 9'x9' and is 43" high (which is 1" below the bottom of the top rail.). The top of the top rail is 43" so the pool is buried 11" at the top of the yard.

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.