Hi from South Eastern, PA

oldman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2011
Boothwyn, PA
Hi, I am a newbie to the forum. I registered because I was searching around the forum and found it to be a GREAT SITE for learning how to take care of pools.

I have been using Intex Pools (18' X 48") (the one with a air ring around it) round pools for about 8 years now. This year we bought a new 18' X 52" Intex Ultra frame pool because it gives us more room than the air ring Intex pool. I re-leveled out the ground threw 2 tarps over the ground and lay-ed indoor out door carpet over that and set up the pool. Unfortunately after filling the pool overnight we found a leak in four different places on the carpet, don't know were the water came from as we could not find water leaking anywhere except for wet carpet. I had close to 5,000 gallons of water in it before we found this, so I am draining the water and have to wait 8:30 Pacific time (which is a three hour difference) to find out what Intex is going to do about it.

I have been using these pools with a Pentair sand filter (100 lbs of sand) with a 3/4 horsepower Hayward pump. Has been working great all these years, but later in the summer I would get that spot algae in it. Water was getting up to 88 degrees last summer, but kept on shocking it and water stayed clear.

I see browsing around the forum it gives plenty of tips for solving problems. Thanks all of you that started this site for inexperienced people like me.

Hi oldman, I am new here too. I am going to keep an eye out for what you are experiencing because I hope to have a pool similar to yours, without the leak of course, sometime in the near future. I hope you find out what the problem is.

I really love this site too! -ForeverNewbie

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome. This seems from the little browsing that I have been doing, to be a great site and forum.

Well finally got my new liner back on the Th of June. Intex had me cut out a few different places of the liner and send it back to them, I sent it Express Mail ($31.00). It took Intex 2 days to approve my claim (after calling them) and they sent me the liner by ground, took 5 more days to get it. Needles to say I set it out to warm up in the sun on the Th and on the Th I put everything back together and started filling it. Everything was up and running Friday night. No leaks.

What I believe to be the problem was the first liner on a lot of areas the seams were not fully sealed all around the pool (bottom and sides). I have been using the Intex pool with the air ring around it for about 9 or 10 years and never had one were the seams were not sealed when brand new were like the first liner that was leaking. Also noticed that the Ultra Frame liners are not as thick as the liners that have the air rings around them. Makes me wonder how long this liner will last! Well I will find out in the next few years. I had one with the air ring last almost 5 summers (split one evening), and the other one I quit using after 4 years.