SWG + CYA + TA + PH ? off, not sure about next steps

t6pool

May 3, 2010
Hi All,
I have an IG ~19,500 gal 16x32 vinyl pool with an Autopilot SWG. I also have a coverstar automatic cover.

I used my Taylor k-2006 to open my pool this year. I had a ton of debris so I had to shock 4 times for the water to clear up.

After all of this and adding some stabilizer, I found some issues with my TA (140 ) and saw that my stabilizer was high, around 90....

So, I added acid yesterday and my k-2006 results showed TA @ 125 and ph @ 7.0. I put an air compressor hose in for a few hours yesterday and rigged my return to pump up and out of the pool back into the water to increase aeration overnight. This morning, my PH seemed to be close to 7.2.

On my way to work, I stopped at the pool store. They did a manual CYA @ 90. Their computer said my TA was at 100 and my PH was at 6.7. The pool store is about 5 minutes from my house. Could the transport throw my readings of that much?? Also, was at .8 based on their readings? I got something around 3 yesterday with my k-2006.

At this point, I'm not quite sure who's numbers to believe, what to add, or if I should drain some water. Do I leave my cover off to let tomorrow's rain into the pool? I hear that rain can increase PH b/c of aeration but Pittsburgh has some acidic rain, wont that lower my PH even more?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
t6pool

Trust your own test numbers.

CYA at 90 is a little too high, but not a big deal. It will come down over the course of the season, so don't worry about it.

The simplest thing to do about your TA is to lower the PH to 7.2 every time it gets up to 7.8 and don't worry about aerating.

The TA of rain is very very low, so even though it is acidic, it has little effect on the pool other than causing aeration. The aeration can raise the PH, depending on what your PH and TA levels are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.