Can i save my in ground pool?

Jrzy

Jun 6, 2011
My location is Jackson, NJ.. Recent new homeowner..
Inground Pool: 42ft by 18ft Rectangle Pool not sure of gallons
Wooden pool probably built in the 80's.

My dilemma... Liner is old and there is an 8ft span where liner tracking came out (nails showing). The liner tracking was top mounted into the plywood.. There was termite damage to the plywood in the 8ft span and in other parts along that side, so that is why liner tracking came off.. nails had no support.. I have cement pavers as coping and some of those pavers are coming loose/cracking. Besides the 8ft span, the liner tracking is holding well, but not sure if the cement coping is helping the tracking to stay in place.. I had two liner installers come over and one said the foundation was strong enough to drain pool and put in new liner.. The other installer said he has not worked on a wooden pool in a long time and his concern is how bad the termite damage is and if the pool will cave in when it gets drained.. He said he could put some pieces of wood against the damaged plywood for added support and he could staple a new liner on top of new wood and existing plywood that was still in good shape.

My concern is when the pool gets drained, it will collapse inward.. Im not sure if the pool is salvageable.. Is there a way I could pull off all the coping and do repairs to foundation to ensure it does not cave in, and then drain pool and replace liner?? I have a third liner company coming to checkout pool on Friday.

Any advice is appreciated and I can provide any additional information.

Here are the pics..

Pic1:
I took a loose piece of coping off to show inside damage of plywood and liner tracking
[attachment=2:1zbnrpyt]pool1.jpg[/attachment:1zbnrpyt]

Pic2:
Where liner tracking has pulled away from coping
[attachment=1:1zbnrpyt]pool3.jpg[/attachment:1zbnrpyt]

Pic3:
Full side view of pool where liner tracking is pulling away
[attachment=0:1zbnrpyt]pool4.jpg[/attachment:1zbnrpyt]

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 260
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 260
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 260
You have a pretty unique situation! I hope there is a good solution. Would it be cost prohibitive for you to replace the wood sides with resin/fiberglass, or stainless steel panels?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.