Is cover over the ring & down and on an Intex a good idea?

jmills

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Billerica MA
Hi folks,

We have been using the Intex cover that came with our 12 x 20 oval frame pool. It is a single layer of vinyl that fits the pool perfectly. It even has a draw-string to help keep it on. It seems to do good themally since it prevents all evaporation. On a recent night the pool started at 77. The air temp got down to 49.6. The pool was at 72 in the morning. Since it is opaque it also protects the chlorine nicely.

It also does a great job of keeping stuff out the pool since it goes over the edges. I only had to vacume 3 times last year.

The problem is that it came with holes in it to theroetically let rain water drain into the pool. Whe really happens is that it sinks and lots of pool water winds up above the vinyl. We have had some success with putting floating stuff under it, but that doesn't always work. Then there is the issue that stuff falls into the water on the cover making quite the mess. Sometimes an edge comes off and sinks.

We are thinking of replacing it with a solar blanket that is big enough to go over the top of the inflatable ring and hang down some. We can then archor it somehow so it won't blow away. I am slightly conserned about the weight that this would put on the infated ring, but most of the cover would be floating on the water. I also don't know how to attach things to the cover material. There must be kits for adding straps for reels and stuff.

Another reason for wanting to do this is more heat getting into the pool during the day with a blue translucent cover even better heat trapping at night.

Another option we are considering is to float a typical blue solar blanket on the surface only and put the other cover over that. We could have it in pieces so it is easy to handle, but it is still having to deal with two covers. I really like the cover to seal completely.

Any and all thought on whether this is a good idea would be greatly appreaciated.

Re: Is cover over the ring & down and on an Intex a good ide

If you have a properly sized solar blanket there should be no gaps to allow stuff in the pool, they do not sink from warer on top due to the air pocket design. I would not get one larger than the exact water surface area and hang over the sides, the blanket works by sealing the water surface and laying over would cause gapping and extra pockets of air between, inefficient protection. If you have massive debris drop, use a leaf net cover.

If you like what it is doing for the pool aside from the debris getting through the little holes in the middle and the water coming up through them, you may just consider putting a little duct tape over the holes to help prevent that from happening. Save yourself the money for the moment and when it needs replacing, then find yourself a solar cover that fits... or if you like the intex cover better, get another one of those.

Hubby and I had a tiny Intex pool and a cover for it a few yrs ago when our son was 3 and we had the same issues with the cover you're having. We put some tape over the holes and never looked back. It kept the leaves and water where they should be.

Not the nicest thing to look at, but a cover isn't anyway. :)

I put tape on the holes. So far so good. Using a hand skimmer is working pretty good to get the tree parts off. I also found a good way to get water off the cover. I filled one of my empty bleach bottles with water. I stuck a piece of garden hose into the handle. When the bottle is on the cover it sinks just enough to hold the hose because it is the same density as the pool water, but you can have the hose siphon the water.

Glad you found something that works for you.

I like my solar cover, although I disagree with NWMNmom ... I always have leaves & debris that collect on it and along the sides of it. When I roll it up with it's roller, many of the leaves on top of it fall into the pool. I don't have an easy way to run water across the top to get them into the skimmer so I always have leaves to deal with when it's removed. Oftentimes I move the return jet upward to get it to cycle the surface water more and let the skimmer do most of the work, but Hubby is always after them with a net because he can't stand it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.