Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi everyone!

Can i use the air relief valve to drain my pool by opening it and connecting a hose to it to direct the water away?

What to do when the water level falls below skimmer level?

Otherwise, how do you drain the pool?

Thanks!

I used the vacuum hose to siphon my pool recently. Worked like a charm, down until the final few inches, which we scooped. I suppose this only works if you are on a suitable hill , but if you are, it is so simple!

How far do you need to drain the pool? There should be a drain plug in the bottom of the filter body that you could connect a hose to and allow the pool to drain to the skimmer. To drain farther down, you could use a siphon method, rent a submersible pump, or connect a manual vacuum to your pump and allow the head to sit in the deepest part of the pool and run the pump with a hose connected to the cartridge drain. However if you use this method the drain hose will not keep up with the pump volume and you should open the filter and take the cartridge out.

Like they say, if you have a suitable slope, siphoning works. A submersible pump also works. Spend a little extra and buy a big one. I bought the cheapest one they sell at Lowes, and while the stream looks impressive out the garden hose, only pumps out about 400 gallons per hour.

Richard320 said:
Like they say, if you have a suitable slope, siphoning works. A submersible pump also works. Spend a little extra and buy a big one. I bought the cheapest one they sell at Lowes, and while the stream looks impressive out the garden hose, only pumps out about 400 gallons per hour.

Sore spot with me (not you, the pumps at HD or Lowes). I went through three pumps from them in 16 months - one 1/3rd HP sump pump (HD), and two 1/2HP sump pumps (Lowes). They just don't last... My last one (1/2 HP) only made it through 2 pools, and all I did was drain. No muck, etc...

That said, the little one you have I have also (sounds the same) is still running strong and is great for removing the last of the water as it sucks through the bottom of the pump, vs. the bottom 1 1/2" of the pump through the sides like most sumps do.

And, to the OP: If you decide to use the pool pump (not my first choice - rent a sump from a rental center for $40/day), once you drain down to a few feet below skimmer level - don't turn the pump off, as you will lose prime and may not get it back.

- Jeff

Thanks for all the replies...

I am looking to drain about 50% of the water to lower the CYA. I plan to use the water to water my yards and there is little to no slope so siphoning will not work...

you mean the one at the bottom of the pool at the deep end? Yes i have a drain over there... but it goes to the pump...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.