I WANNA CLOSE THIS THING NOW, BUT...

G

its still 85 here in the shade and the water is still "swimmable" it was 65 for two weeks strait because of 70 degree days, now were on a good streak of hot weather that has no end in site according to the weather, and the pool is now 79, BUT I AM TIRED OF ONE THING AFTER ANOTHER, i spend 2 hours in the morning and an hour after work cleaning Crud out of the skimmers skimming the top vacuming, and today in one skimmer was a frog and a mouse, AND IN THE OTHER ONE WAS A ADULT SQURAL, still alive and my dogs decided to get it out for me :roll: but it is just to much of a pain to keep it open right now, im going to order the POOLSKIM i think, and see how that goes but my skimmers ARE OVERFLOWING WITH LEAVES IN ALMOST AN HOUR AFTER EMPTYING THEM, AND THE POOL STILL HAS 50 POUNDS OF LEAVES, IM BURNING MORE CLORINE NOW THAN I WAS IN 115 DEGREE JULYS. ERR.

my main question is, can i close it with this warm of weather still??

i decided i wasn't gunna as i have only lived HERE in VA for about 2 years only experenced one winter, and not sure if its consistant or just a "warm" winter and it is my first winter with a pool.

puting on the loop loc cover when i can still swim seems like a sin, plus the cover is HUGE, and i dont have the tool to pop up the silly little heads, i may think about investing in a leaf net though.

No, last year definitely wasn't a typical VA winter...it can get downright COLD here (at least in the northern part of the state...can't imagine it would be that much warmer in VA Beach). But if you're hardy and have a nice heater, you may still be able to swim into late November/December with some intermittent cold snaps

Rollin Thunder said:
i decided i wasn't gunna as i have only lived HERE in VA for about 2 years only experenced one winter, and not sure if its consistant or just a "warm" winter and it is my first winter with a pool.

puting on the loop loc cover when i can still swim seems like a sin, plus the cover is HUGE, and i dont have the tool to pop up the silly little heads, i may think about investing in a leaf net though.

Live in Suffolk, VA since 92. I can only remember 2 or 3 winters where we had any significant snow fall.

to add to the misery, two many leaves got in to the skimmers clogged the pump and it over heated, it still runs but wont make a solit prime, im afraid i have clogged pipes. i have had no circulation for 37 hours now, and we have gotton a ton of rain.

RT,

So sorry to hear about your problems. This may or may not help, but here goes, FWIW:

1. We do not run pump with leaves falling (and wind blowing) unless we are home to empty the skimmer every hour or two;
2. ...and before we turn it on, we use the leaf net (the big one) to skim the leaves which are usually blown into one corner/area of the pool, which makes it easier to pick them up.....and
3. If leaves are all over the pool, DH will crank up his blower and blow the leaves to one corner & I dip them out...
4. If leaves are in the bottom, one will brush them up and the other will dip. One person can do this, but it is much easier with two people.
5. Some folks run their pump at night because there is generally less wind....but we only run pump during the day.
6. Lately, there have been days that we do not turn on the pump. The water temp is now 68 and our FC is holding very well. So, when we run the pump 2 to 3 hours a day, we are doing good and our pool is doing good, too. NO CC! (We only ran 6 to 8 hrs. per day w/temps in the 100's) :wink:

Now, we have a member that has fashioned a contraption to drop a 'net basket' over and in front of the skimmer to allow the pool to filter and not let the leaves clog the skimmer. The 'basket' keeps the leaves at bay and allows the water to flow. It almost sounds like a big basket that I think he dropped over the side and held in place with a bag of sand or concrete block or something like that. :roll: I cannot remember who it is, but maybe he will chime in and give some help! Hang in there, and good luck.

Joyce

im worried about leaving it off long because we swimming again, every weekend we have like 10 or 15 friends come over and we swim, becuase were the only ones with our pool still open, NOW I KNOW WHY, but i usally leave for work at 8 and my wife leaves work at 730, i clean it before i go, my oldest usally is home around 1- or 2, i dont know when his classes are though, i think he has tuesday and thursday off and afternoons other wise but in that time he sells houses, so im not sure, i can tell him to keep an eye on it but you know how 20 year olds are :roll:

I agree with Joyce. We leave our pool open all year in TN and get tons of leaves. We don't run our pump that much and would never leave it on overnight or when we were going to be gone for a long period because it can clog the skimmer basket in a hurry. We only run our pump a couple of hours every day or two and that has been about it. I guess a big difference is that we aren't swimming anymore as our temps are too cold (low 60's).

If you don't have a leaf net then I recommend you get one. Up until recently I just had a regular flat skimmer net which works OK for light duty, but when you get lots of leaves the leaf net in Money. Takes a few minutes to skim all the leaves off the surface and then I will run it along the bottom to get the majority of leaves that have already found their way to the bottom.

riles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Along with our pool we inherited a leaf cover.
It is pretty light weight, covers the whole pool quickly and is pretty easy to remove and empty. We are using it on top of the winter cover to make leaf removal easier in the spring. But if you have leaves and plan on keeping a pool open thru the fall I would think one would be a graet investment.

A beautiful pool and 24 beautiful trees in the same yard, just doesn't seem like such a great idea this time of year.

i wish they were in my yard, their all 6 story trees in my neighbors yard, i cant do anything about them, i just have to live with it, i ordered a pool skim so hopefully that will help alot, my pool still has no filter, we have swam friday and today and its still crystal clear, so hopefully it will stay that good until thursday when the repair guys can get here. THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO BTW, im still in that mode i need 24/7 circulation, well not now, as i have no pump.

I had a pool company close it this a.m. I took the morning off and watched them close it to hopefully never have to use them again. BUT, I'm a little skeptical of how they did it (keep in mind there has been no filtration or circulation for 6 days because leaves clogged my pipes, they fixed that too.) Here is what they did:

1. Turned off the pump
2. Added algecide
3. Tested for chlorine - they said it was 4ppm
4. Put plugs in the returns, not anything special, just plugs
5. Put a thing called a gizmo in the skimmer
6 Put the cover on.

THEY DIDNT:
Blow out the lines
Shock
Lower the water, it's more than half way above the skimmer
Drain any of the equipment.

I'm kinda worried about how they did this. To me, I'm just asking for trouble. They also didn't give me any instruction other than to forget it until spring. Thanks for any help.

JasonLion said:
It depends very much on the weather in your area. If you get a hard freeze you will have problems, but if you only get mild freezes it should be fine.

I guess there only planing on a mild freeze, i talked to a neighbor and they said that in 2003 they had a 5 inch snow storm where the snow sticked for 6 hours but the town went nuts for a week. he said he planned on a light freeze and didnt have any problems, he also told me that the climate here is funny, one winter we could get snow for months, and another year we could get 60-70 all winter, its just hard to tell, what strange is it plays tricks on you, in october it could be 40 all month but the rest of the season is 70's.

IF the weather is showing a hard freeze in the forcast could i drain and clear out the lines before or does that take a while?

what about not shocking it, am i going to open up a green pool in march- april, he left it at 4ppm and poured 22 oz of algicide.

thanks for your help

Lowering the water level can take a little while, typically on the order of an hour. But it can take much longer if you need to use a cover/sump pump instead of the main pump for some reason. Blowing out the lines goes fairly quickly if you have an appropriate blower/air compressor and any necessary fittings.

I wouldn't worry about them not shocking. Sometimes the pool will turn green even if you do everything right, and stay perfectly clear even when you do everything wrong. Shocking improves the odds a little bit, but not dramatically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.