PH and aeration

It raises it.

It's my (limited) understanding that if you aerate the pool while at a low pH, the pH rises and the alkalinity falls - i.e. the TA 'gives of itself' to raise the pH.

There are folks here who can explain exactly what happens but I'm not one of them :)

Aeration tends to cause CO2 outgassing, which raises PH. How much, if any, CO2 outgassing occurs depends on the PH and TA levels. Higher TA levels and lower PH mean more dissolved CO2, so more outgassing, so more PH increase.

We were in the pool yesterday and I started splashing a lot. Hubby asked what I was doing that for... I told him we needed to raise the ph and what better way to do it than to get him and my son wet too :)

He was a skeptic about BBB when I first started, but is now a believer in the process and after my comment yesterday he joined in on the splashing too. We had fun and actually did raise the ph a tiny bit in while we were in the pool.

Aeration raises pH due to outgassing of CO2. As I understand it, the lower the pH, the faster CO2 is outgassed by aeration.
This doesn't really lower the TA, but it is part of the process by which TA is lowered. Acid lowers both TA and pH, then pH is raised by aeration, then more acid to lower the TA and pH, aeration to raise the ph again, etc., with the result being that the TA is reduced without taking the pH too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.