New/Future AG Pool owner with what to buy questions

Jun 5, 2011
Hey all,
Love the site.

We just put in order at the local pool place for a 33' 25k gallons Evolution round pool. It comes with a 1.5hp Hayward pump and 23" skimmer or something. Think that's the main points.

Few questions of course.

I was looking at this cleaner:
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Wanda-Abo ... BXH2WRV3RJ
I've read good things, does anyone know of any cleaner better for the same general price?

And my big question: I am sure at this point that a SWG would be the best choice. I have searched a bit on the site and I have not found what I need to know yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for a swg that would be a good fit for the pool I listed above? I was looking at the Hayward Turbo Cell 40K, but it says it's for IG pools, does that matter?

Are there other swg's that around $500-$600?

The lady at the pool place was going crazy for this stuff called Endure.
http://www.memphispool.com/pdf-files/endure.pdf
Any thoughts on this product and its benefits?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

I can't answer all your questions, but here is a couple.

You definitely want to oversize your swg, so a 40K version for 25K water is good. Not sure about getting IG device for a big AG pool.

The Endure is borates, sodium tetraborate. Borates can help your water look and feel better and does act to reduce chances of algae. You still need to maintain proper chlorine however. The claim algae does not grow is probably a little over the top. I am sure if you did not keep proper chlorine, you would still get algae. Some on this forum swear by borates. See "So you want to add borates to your pool" in Chemistry 201 forum. I am sure getting Borax from Walmart will get you the exact same effect and a much cheaper price than what you will be sold Endure for. I would get your pool up and running before making the decision on borates.

We have the Aqua Rite with a cell for an IG pool - it can be used for either. It's just that the AG version is usually smaller and has a setup for inline on the return jet. The IG versions hook up the same way on IG or AG. Oversize is correct - it does not have to work as hard then.

I agree, what Weth said on the Endure - pool store item, you can do the same with Borax

I just bought a Diver Dave (which is the same vacuum as Wanda-w/a different cover). We just got it Friday and have yet to decide if he's going to work well for us. I read a lot of reviews for him and most everyone that has it loves it. I'm undecided yet... but we've only tried him twice.

He's a very slow mover and will pick up the debris. If there is much debris, like leaves, it seems to clog relatively easily and will stop moving because the suction from the skimmer is what causes his motion. He has gotten stuck on the steps and our center drain a few times, and if he or his hose gets close to the return jet he wants to float up sideways until he gets away from the current. Hubby can't stand to watch him because he always seems to turn right before he gets to a leaf.

He does seem to do a good job and cleans up the bottom, you just have to give him some time and if you have many large leaves keep an eye on him. We have two walnut trees not far from the pool that are always losing leaves and sometimes they fall in groups together which I'm afraid will be a problem for him. We're going to give him a few more days before we decide if he's got the job as our "pool boy".

Hubby can't stand to watch him because he always seems to turn right before he gets to a leaf.
Lol. I love this.

Thanks for the tips guys! I will definitely look into the borax.

So do you guys think that the Hayward SWG is the best for my needs or do y'all know of anything better? And by better, I mean cheaper.

Thanks again!

Jamie

Suziqzer said:
I just bought a Diver Dave (which is the same vacuum as Wanda-w/a different cover). We just got it Friday and have yet to decide if he's going to work well for us. I read a lot of reviews for him and most everyone that has it loves it. I'm undecided yet... but we've only tried him twice.

He's a very slow mover and will pick up the debris. If there is much debris, like leaves, it seems to clog relatively easily and will stop moving because the suction from the skimmer is what causes his motion. He has gotten stuck on the steps and our center drain a few times, and if he or his hose gets close to the return jet he wants to float up sideways until he gets away from the current. Hubby can't stand to watch him because he always seems to turn right before he gets to a leaf.

He does seem to do a good job and cleans up the bottom, you just have to give him some time and if you have many large leaves keep an eye on him. We have two walnut trees not far from the pool that are always losing leaves and sometimes they fall in groups together which I'm afraid will be a problem for him. We're going to give him a few more days before we decide if he's got the job as our "pool boy".

I agree, we have Wanda the Whale, she does a decent job but takes a while and always looks right at me as she turns just missing the dirt I'm eagerly watching for her to pick up. :hammer: If you want a quick clean up before company or something the manual vaccum is faster but Wanda will get the job done if you give her a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.