Pump/suction/vacuum

All of those syptoms could be explained by a filter clogging up but again, I would have expect the PSI to rise much higher than just 2 PSI.

When you backwash, how long do you let the water run?

Also, when you run the filter in bypass mode, does the same thing happen with the cleaner?

I have been backwashing an extra long time since this all started. I can't backwash until I get more water - have to haul it in. The last few times I have backwashed until the glass was clean then for another minute or so. Usually I on;y backwash until the glass is clear. I then rinsed for 30 seconds before turning it back to filter.

I have not tried to run the cleaner on bypass, but I will test that when I go out.

Could the multi port valve or anything in it cause symptoms like these?

It is possible that the valve has an issue and might explain the lack in PSI rise since the valve is before the pressure gauge. A misaligned spider gasket could cause some flow issues. Was that removed when you rebuilt the filter? It might be worth an inspection.

We removed the multi valve, but did not take it apart.

I am beginning to the the new gauge is faulty. It showed the same psi when running the cleaner on recirculate. I did not notice a drop in suction with the cleaner on recirculate, but it did seem lessened when I first checked it after running all day. In fact, even when I turned the pump off it still showed the same pressure. Shouldn't it go to zero when the pump is not running?

Got more water this evening and backwashed. The glass was quite dirty - which would explain the drop in suction. We took off the pressure gauge to see if it would go to zero - it did not until tapped it aggressively. We then tapped the end again a hand and sand came out - quite a few grains - then the gauge went to zero. When we reinstalled the gauge it went back to 16 psi. I did not want to hook up the cleaner in the dark to do any testing.

When the lateral broke and it was shooting sand into the pool, could sand have gotten up into the multi valve and we didn't know we needed to clean it out? If so, how do we clean it out? How could sand be getting into the pressure gauge?

It sounds like the filter may still be having some issues. You shouldn't be getting sand in the gauge. Are you getting any sand into the pool as well? Also, how far below the top of the filter is the sand level and what type of sand did you use to replace the old sand?

When you get a chance, post back with some accurate pressure measurements but make sure the gauge goes to zero when the pump is shut off. Also, tap the gauge before taking a reading to make sure the needle is moving freely.

Also, if you are still having problems with algae, I would focus on getting that cleaned up first.

No, no sand in the pool - did after the lateral broke, but I have vacuumed that out - not sure of any other way to get it out. The filter is somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 full of Quickcrete Pool Sand. The algae is clear, pool is blue and sparkly, water is holding FC levels overnight and only using about 5 during the day.

The good news is that after tapping the sand out of the gauge last night, the gauge appears to be working correctly. When I turn off the pump it goes to 0 and when I turn it on it goes to 16. I bought a new gauge but did not put it on (yet). We went ahead and connected the solar panels and the pressure gauge went up to 19psi - about what I expected from my experiences from the past 2 years.

I am sure I will need to use the cleaner soon, but I didn't today and it looks like a storm is headed in so I probably won't today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.