Adding salt and/or borates

tigerucla

LifeTime Supporter
Now that our pool is sparkling clean and the chemicals are under control, I'm thinking of adding salt and/or borates to get that silky feeling (i.e. eliminate that dried skin feeling when we get out). I've read many threads and it seems that the consensus is that there is no consensus- that it's a matter of choice/personal preference. Still, I have a couple questions:

1- Do you think salt at 2000 ppm (not planning on a SWG at this time) will affect the natural rocks around the pool?
2- Does salt or borates make the water silkier? Does adding salt and borates make the water twice as silky? (I know this is a subjective question, but I'm fine with subjective answers).

Here's our pool-

2j0clj9.jpg

(I'm not so concerned about rising pH, eye irritation nor extra sparkly water- we're not having any issues there.)

Thanks!

There is never any guarantee for stone, which being a natural product varies, still I suspect your stones will be just fine.

Subjectively salt and borates both make the water "silkier" or something people often use that word to describe, and the two together is even better than either alone. That is at least what most people say, but there are a few who don't notice the difference and say it wasn't worth the effort.

I can tell you that I have added both and LOVE the way the water looks and feels. I am planning on adding a bit more salt this week to keep it soft. Even my SIL commented on the feel of the water and so did my DH. :mrgreen: I will say that it is personal preference and it won't hurt anything.

Thanks for the input on the rocks, Jason. Are there any threads on this site you don't personally participate in? I appreciate all your help.

Dorpo75- thanks for your 2 cents. Did you add them both at the same time, or one at a time? And does the improved "feel of the water" mean less skin dryness when you get out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.