useing my new test kit questions

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
I brought a sample to local pool store. So I could check with my test kit to practice. They found, alkalinity 70 ph 7.8 calcium 240 chlorine 6.2 FC and total. copper .03 stabilizer 0 . I know the chlorine is high. My water was staying coudy so I shocked it again. I wounder how long it will take the sun use the FC so we can go in? Ted and I added some cya. But I had to backwash several times because the pressure getting getting too high. So Im sure I washed out the cya. The pool store says Ideal Chlorine is 1.0-1.5 I put some cya in a cotton sock out of drawer, and put that in the skimmer.
I brought the alkalinty up to around 90 with some baking soda. And brought the ph down to around 7.3 with dry acid. When I do the total alkalinity test , I add a drop and swirl it around. Do I count the drops after I see a flash of red? or when the liquid stays red? Also I can't figure out how to test for br. I added mule team. About a little more than a full large box. If I have this right you add the same drops on the same yellow side Of the chlorine/ph plastic thing. If you have 2ppm of chlorine, you have 4ppm of bromine? filix

You aren't using bromine, so there is no reason to test for it.

I'm sure you added some CYA, just not enough to register on the test. You should add some more CYA, aiming to get your CYA level up to between 40 and 50.

On the TA test, you want to keep adding drops until it starts to turn red, then keep adding drops as long as the red doesn't hold for at least 15 seconds and as long as the color continues changing.

Thankyou Jason. Not useing bromine? Oh Dah! Ok, keep counting the drops until it turns red and doesn't turn back right away to green. Richard thats good advice. I read it twice. I'm just not good at retaining info. Teflon brain "nothing sticks" :p I have to keep at this, and go back read again while I'm doing it. Thankyou both. filix.

Hey Filix!

Don't sweat the borates at this point, as you just started using the 20 mule team Borax, you probably don't have enough in the water to register anyway. TFTestkits has the borate test strips, if you decide to get the SpeedStir just have Dave toss a bottle of borate strips in the box with it :)

I just want to point out a discrepancy between The Pool Store's test results and mine. On Wed. I got 90 for the alk - they report 70 - I can live with that, it's within the accuracy of +/- 10 and you added some acid. However, I got ~540 on the hardness and they show 240, one of us is way off and I'm sure I did the test correctly - I'm not sure that their tester is properly calibrated (maybe I'll slide on over there on Wed. with a sample from one of my pools and compare their results with what I test :twisted: ) If you want to check the calcium discrepancy, use a 10 ml sample, add 10 drops of R0010, swirling, add 3 drops R0011, swirling until all the dye has dissolved, and count the drops of R0012 it takes (swirling for 10 seconds after each drop) to make the color turns blue and stay blue [if they are right you'll need ~10 drops of R0012 to reach the endpoint, if I'm right you'll need 20+ drops](each drop counts as 25 ppm)

I must say it's a new and satisfying thing to have been to a pool we're talking about here :cool:

I'll bet your right Ted. When they told my chlorine level and that my ph was 7.8 I remembered what you said. When your chlorine is high you get a false reading on your ph. They said yes but it will read falsely low. :blah: I thought it read falsely high. Unless I have it wrong, which is very likely :sleep: I will try that test. Thanks Ted. Filix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.