When is CYA value accurate

Mar 29, 2011
Camas, WA
I am bringing my CYA up to 75 or so for the swg. I added some CYA to a sock in the skimmer and it is completely dissolved for 3 days now. My CYA reading is still 60. I don't want to overdo the CYA, but want to make sure I have enough and also that my FC levels are correct for the amount I have.

How many days after the CYA has dissolved (its been 3 going on 4 days now) will my reading be accurate?

How anal should I be about getting that CYA up before turning on the new SWG?

Do I let the FC fall before turning on the SWG? If I do will I risk an algea outbreak as the FC will be too low for the current CYA until the SWG is turned on?

AACH! I'm making my self crazy! :hammer:

Whidster said:
I am bringing my CYA up to 75 or so for the swg. I added some CYA to a sock in the skimmer and it is completely dissolved for 3 days now. My CYA reading is still 60. I don't want to overdo the CYA, but want to make sure I have enough and also that my FC levels are correct for the amount I have.

How many days after the CYA has dissolved (its been 3 going on 4 days now) will my reading be accurate?

How anal should I be about getting that CYA up before turning on the new SWG?

Do I let the FC fall before turning on the SWG? If I do will I risk an algea outbreak as the FC will be too low for the current CYA until the SWG is turned on?

AACH! I'm making my self crazy! :hammer:
Figure a week to read CYA accurately.

If CYA is 60 and I had enough salt, I'd go ahead and start the SWG. How high is the FC now? If it's 20, then let it drop, you want to swim in it!! If it's close, just go. As it dissipates, you may need to raise the SWG run time to keep FC up, which segues nicely into the next line.

ALWAYS KEEP FC ABOVE MINIMUM FOR YOUR CYA LEVEL!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!

It doesn't matter if it comes from a jug or the SWG, it just has to be there.

Turn on the SWG. 60 CYA is ok but test again in another 3 days just to see if you need to add more. It doesn't have to be that precise. Your SWG will perform fairly well anywhere from 30 -80 but 70 would be a sweet spot to target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.