Killing my neighbors trees

Kansas74

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2007
Hays KS
Ok I think this one is a little bizarre but I have to ask this one. My neighbor is complaining that my pool is killing her trees. I have no idea what kind they but they are at least 15 to 20 years old. She thinks its our chemicals from the pool. This year we switched to a Salt Water Pool. Is this possible? I was thinking it was from the heat, we have an indoor pool and we left the doors open quite a bit over the summer. The trees could catch a lot of hot air from the open doors. I think she is a crazy lady but whom am I to judge.

Nahhhh . . .

Unless you're watering her trees with waste water from your pool? Even so. I've discharged pool water on my lawn when I backwash and I haven't seen any detrimental effects.

And heat escaping from the open doors? How hot? And how close are the trees?

Blaming the neighbours is a game a lot of people like to play.

Can not ascertain from your post as to her degree of craziness (we're all a LITTLE crazy) but I think you can both be pretty confident your indoor pool has little affect on her trees

i vote crazy with trees and espaclly an indoor, shes nuts or a con artist and wants new trees, but i backwash on the same part of grass every week and now its dead and turns into a big mud hole .

Kansas74 said:
Ok I think this one is a little bizarre but I have to ask this one. My neighbor is complaining that my pool is killing her trees. I have no idea what kind they but they are at least 15 to 20 years old. She thinks its our chemicals from the pool. This year we switched to a Salt Water Pool. Is this possible? I was thinking it was from the heat, we have an indoor pool and we left the doors open quite a bit over the summer. The trees could catch a lot of hot air from the open doors. I think she is a crazy lady but whom am I to judge.

Where does the water go when you backwash? If it's getting into the root system it can certainly damage or kill a tree of any size.

But this isn't proof that your pool water is killing the tree. 15-20 years is getting quite old for some shorter lived trees. Also, some trees are known as being salt resistant (which is great to plant in parkway easements next to roads that are salted in winter). Have you noticed an abundance of new beetles in the area?

What type of tree is it?

where is your backwash water going?

Are there any markings or carvings on the trunk?

Crazy? no. I would also investigate life expectancy of the tree and insect damage...but salt water discharged on the root system would be my leading suspect for cause of death (if in fact the water is discharged anywhere near the root system of the tree).

take care,
dan

The backwash actually goes into the sewer line. When I say hot air the indoor temp can get way over 100 degrees. The trees are probably 15 to 20 feet away from the building. To make thing worse the only leaves that turned are the ones facing us. I personally think its from the heat. All I can do is next year don't leave the doors open facing her.

Thanks!!!!!!

I have a tree 3 yards from my pool and it is fine, and I might to take it down this winter and my neighbor has willow trees and they are well ( I wish I could kill those ones, too much trash and cotton!!!) Those trees are like 6 yards away

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some trees just have issue on the sun side or the north side and it is coincidence that your house is that direction. Be proactive and react as if the trees were yours, what would you do to find out the problem? Contact the County Extension Agent or Agricultural Depart for the County - describe the trees as if they were yours, take pictures. Do not tell them you have a pool - its easy for someone to jump to conclusions and fail to look further. Let them ask the questions and if the question comes up about a pool, then tell them yes. My guess is its age of tree or some other natural cause. We have never had any issue with trees.

One question - why on earth would the air temp be way over 100? Are you parboiling something in the pool? Do you have a hot tub rather than a pool? Even so, why would the air temp be that high? The normal air temp combining with the steam would naturally cool down the combination to something less than the water temp. Just curious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.