Jun 3, 2011
Just wanted to post for those that are not
Aware of peroxide bring down the clorine levels.
I saw in another post someone mentioning that peroxide will bring down fc
So I gave it a wirl since my clorine was off the charts from the auto chlorinator.
For my pool a 32oz bottle of 3% peroxide will bring down the fc about 1 full point (ppm)
So I went to cvs and purchased 6 16oz bottles and dumped 5 in, within about 2'hours my fc is down to 3
It was off the chart so needed to bring it down quick cause company was coming to swim
Just wanted to post that it seems to work well and don't
See any negative side affects

With typical CYA levels, your FC will still drop by 50% on a sunny day. There really isn't any reason to use peroxide or any other chlorine neutralizer, since its safe to swim in "shock" level FC.

If your FC is 3, is that your "min" or above according to your CYA level? Refer to the CYA Chart.

I saw that note to and am thankful someone mentioned it. I know it's "safe" to swim in anything under shock level, but prefer not to subject my child, or others for that matter, to levels very high. In the event that I misjudged my SWG timing it is nice information to have on hand.

Our pool is about 19000 gallons
18x33
I think that other post said
16oz per 7500 gallons or something like that
I cleaned out cvs and the lady was looking at me funny when I went up to the register with all the peroxide they had in stock, got the last 32oz and 6 16oz bottles.
I fear between the pool and my saltwater fish tanks if the cops ever come to my house they are going to think I'm running a meth lab or something? Lol!

Highlandreef said:
16oz per 7500 gallons or something like that
That sounds right since 16 ounces of 6% bleach in 7500 gallons is 1 ppm FC.

Note that you can get 27% hydrogen peroxide in Baquacil Oxidizer where 1 gallon is $17. Compare that with a case of 12 bottles of 3% that are 16 ounces each where the case is $15 so that's 1.5 gallons. So the Baquacil Oxidizer is FAR less expensive for the amount of hydrogen peroxide you get. The Baquacil Oxidizer is equivalent in price to $1.89 per gallon of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

While I think that it is good to know that you can reduce the FC levels if necessary, I think that it is important not to use it too often. Careful management of the FC levels will give the best overall performance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I am adding and not hijacking ... I thought the easiest way to explain is with a back story. Hopefully this helps someone else?

Checking the math... Pool Calculator says I would need 4 gallons 1 quart 6% bleach to go from the high side of my target FC (8ppm with 45 CYA) to shock level (16ppm).

To do the opposite and go from 16 down to 8 ppm after holding a high FC level (26+) to rid my pool of mustard algae and a planned bbq tomorrow.

1) I would need 4 gallons 1 quart of 3% peroxide to lower from my current FC 16 to get back down to an FC of 8.

2) Here is the main part... If I use the baquacil oxidizer, 4.25 gallons of peroxide divided by 9 (because the oxidizer is 9 times more concentrated than hydrogen peroxide) means I would need a little less than 1/2 a gallon of the oxidizer? 4.25/9= 0.47 gallons

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.