Need a good vacum intex 2500 gph pump

Jun 26, 2007
MA
I have the vac that came with the pool but it doesn't work. I bought the pool blaster a few years back dies after 1 summer, bought a pool broom vac from Walmart last year that didn't work good either. I need something decent but don't want to spend too much on it.

What didn't work about the broom vac? I'm just curious because I love mine. Best $50 ever spent on this pool actually. I use the nylon sock that came with it always as it does a better job on the smaller particles. Leaves are somewhat troublesome if over a certain size but I found that if I fold the flap over so that it isn't covering the inlet that it will suck up some great big leaves easily.

I just opened our pool after an Oregon winter (mostly rain, but lots of it and dirt... just dirt falling from the sky apparently) where the cover was half fallen in most of the time, and this pool sits under a couple of plum trees even. Then the wind on opening day sprayed the pool with all the petals and stamens from a hawthorne tree before I got enough water into it to install the skimmer (oh how I hate this tree that the neighbors will never remove, although I read that it's "magical"). The stamens ended up being the hardest to get out but today is 1 week from opening and I think I got the last of them with the broom vac last night (they settle in the center, we have the kids swirl the pool every day).

My point is that other than the two pumps, a hand skimmer and some bleach... the broom vac was what cleaned up the pool this year. Well, the broom vac and me that is... Broom Vac I love you! (although I would trade you in for the bigger better model in an instant!)

I read this thread thinking I'd tell you about it, but then of course find out you already hate it. I'm just curious how it failed for you.

Hey, I also had the hose vac that came w the intex. Sucks. I bought the "spa and splasher pool vac" for 30 bucks at Walmart and it works great. It's also a hose vac but much better designed. Picks up great.

Laura

I'm still using the intex vac that came with the pool, I like it now I put a knee high inside the mesh bag that works good I had to let out a little water this week because I vac daily, with kids in and out and wind theres always a lil dirt in the pool.

What I don't care for with the hose vac is twofold.

First, the hose makes it difficult to get around and is always pulling or hitting my head (I'm barely taller than the pool, have taken to wearing heels to vacuum or my arms go numb from hanging over the rail). Hauling the hose all the way around the pool in our small yard navigating obstacles (bbq, pond, garden, etc.) is a PITA, the hosebib is only 10 feet from the pool.

Second, when I replace water I want to know how much I'm replacing. Since I can lose significant CYA and Borates within a short amount of time with this method, within a few weeks everything could change dramatically. Difference between 30 and 40ppm CYA is only 25% of my water, which is just over 1300 gallons. Vacuuming for 25 minutes likely adds 5-10% each time (our water pressure is amazing, I can fill the pool in 3 hours with two hoses). In this case, it's possible that a week of every day vacuuming would pull CYA to 30 right quick, which changes minimum and target numbers from 3/7 to 2/5. Before, with the trichlor pucks that probably didn't matter so much but with BBB it wouldn't work well IMO.

When this occurs, as it will with normal splash out. I want to know how much water I replace, and when I did it. The self contained vac helps with long term clarity because I can vac every day if I want and nothing changes till I decide it's going to change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.