Jandy Sensor Question

May 31, 2011
I have a Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 system that was installed in my pool in 2006. I have been having a problem lately with the error code that indicates that there is a problem with the sensor. I have a few questions. I see references in several posts about a Troubleshooting Guide but when I try the link it gives me an error message that the page isn't there. Anyone know where to find this item. I have the installation manual and it shows a diagram of the system with the sensor located between the heater and the cell. In my system the sensor is located after the cell. Could this be a problem. I've cleaned the 3 contacts in the sensor but still get the 144/172 error codes. I see that several people have simply replaced the sensor and everything was ok. What exactly is it in the sensor that stops working. It seems like a simple device with some wires leading to the contacts. Is it the wires becoming corroded? There doesn't appear to be any moving parts. I've found several places to purchase the sensor so I suppose if that's what it takes I'll spring for the $180 - $200 I just want to make sure that's what the problem is.

thanks for any help you can give me

Your welcome. I will give you a run down on what my Jandy 1400 did. I bought a house in october and have been recently working to get the Jandy SWG up and running.

Once I got the salt level up (using strips to test) I cleaned the cell with Muriatic Acid (MA) and fired it up. I got code 144 (low salt). The LCD showed 0.9 salt even though the pull had 3 G/L of salt in it. It did show I had flow on the panel, but the yellow service light was on and it flashed code 144 every minute or so. No other codes flashed at this time. The Cell On light never came on.

So I pulled the sensor and cleaned it with a green scotch brite pad. The sensor did not look dirty or calciumed up or anything.

Fired the unit back up, same code 144 error. So I did some front ecu board checks as per the troubleshooting manual. The third test failed (high temp test). So I figured I was going to need new boards, cells and sensors in the end, so I continued tinkering. I calibrated the salinity sensor as per the manual and set the LCD to read the same as what I was testing in the pool with Aquachek strips. The low salt code 144 went away and the cell showed as being on. Within a few minutes I got a code 121 error but the the unit was running. My salinity LCD reading changed some so I re-calibrated it a couple of times over the next few days to match the strip, but it did seem to stabilize.

I ran the unit for a week, if it was putting out any chlorine it was not much. It has been cool and wet hear with no swimming, so my FC did not change much day to day anyway. I still hade code 121 and 122.

After a week, I took the cell off again, and after looking at it very closely, I could see the plates were completely plugged with calcium deposits. MA baths did not even phase it. Long story short, I spent hours chipping out the calcium with a piece of welding rod and hit the unit with my powerwasher mutliple times until all the calcium (90% of it anyway) was blown out from between the plates. Re-installed the unit (with low hope) , an hour later I had the code 120 error, but I ran it anyway to see if I was getting any chlorine out of it.

2 days later, my FC started going up, and I did not added anything. So I checked the unit for codes and none existed. It has been working for two weeks now. FC has been staying at 5-6 ppm with the unit set at 70% running it for only 3 hours a day. Not sure it will keep up once it getsy sunny and hot and we start swimming, but my fingers are crossed.

So that is my story. When I looked for new sensors, they were close to $200 shipped. There was a link in the forums to a whole new SWG unit, cord and sensor, for lik $489 shipped. It as a 3 port model (mine is an older 2 port model) so it would of took a little change in the PVC plumbing, which was no big deal to me. I was getting ready to order the whole enchilada but then my unit starting working again LOL!

Hope that helps.

Charlie.

Charlie,

Thanks again. I contacted Jandy (now Zodiac) yesterday and spoke to a tech by the name of Dave. He advised me to power off the system and restart it. That got rid of the error codes but still left the "add salt" light and indicator on. According to the test strips the salt level is fine. I also noticed that the "wait" indicator stayed on. I'm going to try the recalibration today and see what that does. The cell is clean, no calcium at all. Dave did tell me that the cell life is about 4/5 years, which mine is. I don't know what goes wrong with them but that's what I was told. I've also found the new 3 port cell/sensor kits on line for $475. I suppose if this thing doesn't start working I'll have to break down and buy it.

I'll do the recalibration and keep you posted.

Again thanks
Joe

Charlie,

I'm looking through the installation manual and troubleshooting manual for the salinity recalibration procedures but the only thing I find is shutting the system off and back on. Is there another procedure to adjust the number seen on the display to what the test strip number is?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.