Need Suggestion on chemistry

donaldm823

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2007
Cape Coral, FL
My parents in SC have been having algae problems and after 1 week of Chlorox shocking, all the algae is dead, water still cloudy but clearing via sand filter But the chemistry is so out of wack, they went to the local pool store for water analysis and he suggested the following add. Please let me know what you think as I am concerned over pH. They have a 28000 gal vinyl pool
FC 9, TC 9
TA 4
pH 6.5
CH 229
CYA 13

Store suggested
add 25lbs baking soda
add 4 lb of CYA granules
5 lbs of turbo shock (bag says it's calcium hypo)
1qt algecide after adding shock
no filter backflushes for 48 hrs.

My calcs says he is adding the wrong stuff for pH, and I did not think he needed to shock pool based on the FC and TC. I also would not have added algecide until after the shock wears off and FC less than 10ppm

You certainly want to bring up both TA and PH. Starting with about 25 lbs of baking soda sounds about right. You also want to bring CYA up. With a SWG I recommend bringing CYA up to around 70 to 80. I would start with 12 lbs of stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid, give that a week to mix in, test again, and go from there. You also need a little calcium, though I recommend using calcium chloride indtead of cal-hypo to raise the CH level.

I don't see any need to shock, or to use algaecide.

JasonLion said:
You certainly want to bring up both TA and PH. Starting with about 25 lbs of baking soda sounds about right. You also want to bring CYA up. With a SWG I recommend bringing CYA up to around 70 to 80. I would start with 12 lbs of stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid, give that a week to mix in, test again, and go from there. You also need a little calcium, though I recommend using calcium chloride indtead of cal-hypo to raise the CH level.

I don't see any need to shock, or to use algaecide.

thanks Jason. This question maybe in the wrong section of the forum-if so feel free to move. My question is regarding pH. Is baking soda add the right action, or do I also need to add pH plus or borax?. The pool calculator indicates that pH will only go up .2ph and I am 1.0 low at 6.5. The pool is in SC and is vinyl and they use Tri pucks for FC control. Already added 4lb of CYA for 30ppm. They only added 12lb of the BAking Soda until I could answer the pH question

First raise the TA to about 5 or 10 below it's final level with baking soda, which will also raise the PH a bit. Baking soda will raise PH a fair bit if the PH starts really low, but only raise PH a tiny bit once the PH is around 7.0.

Then measure the PH again and raise it with either borax or soda ash/washing soda/PH Up. Increasing the PH will also increase the TA just a tiny bit, which is why you leave the TA a little low in the first step.

duraleigh, if TA starts really really low, which it appears to be here, you want to raise TA first. In all other cases, raising TA second is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.