Can't get consistent pressure

G

Second year above ground pool owner and am quite bad at it. I have a 33' pool with a swim pro voyager cartridge filter. Filter and pump ran OK (i guess) last year. This year it runs up to pressure (12 lbs was normal last year) very rarely and most times i get 2 lbs of pressure out of it. A little background. The pool was left with leaves in it last year and I'm having quite the mess this year. The cleaning process is taking extra long this year becasue I have to keep messing with the pump/filter. Does anyone know how I can maintain a good pressure so I can get this done. Thanks.

When the pressure on gauge goes down I assume that you also find that the pressure returning to the pool and suction at the skimmer also drop? If not you may have a bad gauge.

Do you notice air bubbles coming out of the return outlet (the port where the water shoots back into the pool) of the pool?

When was the last time you cleaned the cartridge?

Is there any debris in the pump basket?

Tell us more. :)

List the equipment brands and models.

How is the suction in the skimmer?
How is the pressure flow out of the returns?
Have you inspected the cartridge(s) for tears?
Have you scooped as all the debris out yet?

I know that's a lot of questions without an answer but once you answer those things we can help. That'll help point us in the right direction. I.E. it's a waste of your time for us to tell you to tear the filter apart when it's a suction plugged.

It's a Swimpro Voyager cartridge system. The pressure gauge seems to be fine as I get a corresponding drop in the return outlet. Cartridge was cleaned yesterday for the second time (it's taken a beaten based onthe opening conditions of the pool). Scooped most all of the debris and am mostly left with silt/sediment. No debris in the strainers. The filter seems to be in good condition although a couple of the bands that keep the filter together are snapped. I notice the air bleeder seems to be spitting water along the seal. There was bubbling for the first time this morning coming from the return. I can't seem to keep water filled in the strainer housing on the pump. When it worked well last year the housing was full. This year it seems the suction side is outperforming the return side.

I notice the air bleeder seems to be spitting water along the seal. There was bubbling for the first time this morning coming from the return. I can't seem to keep water filled in the strainer housing on the pump. When it worked well last year the housing was full. This year it seems the suction side is outperforming the return side.

Sounds like you are getting air in the system. The strainer basket not staying full means that you are sucking in air along with water. Are you sure the pool is filled with enough water -- when looking at the skimmer from the pool the skimmer should be at least 3/4 of the way full of water.

Also you would want to address the air bleeder problem. It's probably just a bad or missing o-ring.

The most common place for air to leak into the system is the pump strainer basket lid. The drain plugs are another common place. Remove the lid and inspect, clean and lube the o-ring, then put it back together. If that doesn't fix it, run a water hose over the suction side plumbing noticing the basket lid as you do and when the air stops coming into the basket you've found where the leak is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.