My GFCI outlet is not working properly

I have a light that is wired to it, and when it is correct at night the light comes on and when its light out would go out. Well that same light for the longest worked fine however the gfci would also turn it off or on whichever the case may be. Now it wont however everything else seems to work like when I plug in a vacuum cleaner works like it is suppose to. I dont know just weird.

I'm trying to figure this out. Are you saying that you have a light that comes on at night and off in the day? You also say that the receptacle always works? If those two things are correct then you need to replace the light. I assume this is a post light or one that is mounted on your house.

I get that electricity isn't your forté. I suggest that you call an electrician or a friend that's electrically inclined. Sounds like you need to replace the light but I don't want you hurting yourself doing it.

No its not my forte however what I am trying to explain is that the reset but is stuck out and when I push on it nothing happens at all I am curious if it could be the reset and test parts are bad but the outlet parts are good. The light is on a poll, and it basically is a street light.

The GFI might be working properly. It may be that the light or it's feed are bad. My guess is that the light is hooked up on the "load" terminals on the GFI. If so, the GFI protects the light and wiring as well as whatever you plug in the front of it. It won't hurt to replace the GFI. It is a fairly simple task assuming you know where the breaker is that feeds it. If you do attempt to change it make sure you look at the back of the receptacle and mark the wires for line and load. Make sure you put the hot and neutral on the proper sides of the receptacle. If any of this doesn't make sense, call an electrician!

1)
I am curious if it could be the reset and test parts are bad but the outlet parts are good
That should never happen. The test/reset part are part of the protection circuitry. If they don't work, the GFCI is broken, and no longer can be counted on to provide the protection necessary. It needs to be replaced.

2)
when I plug in a vacuum cleaner works like it is suppose to.
If an appliance plugged in to the GFCI receptacle works, but a light powered by the GFCI doesn't, I suspect that there is a problem with the light as well. The same protection circuitry within the GFCI protects both the included receptacle and the LOAD wiring from the GFCI. Oh, by the way, that protection circuitry is broken. See #1 above.
(I 'm assuming that the vacuum, when plugged in and working like it's supposed to, doesn't respond to the test/reset buttons, right?)

the reset but is stuck out and when I push on it nothing happens at all
Ummm, yeah. Broken. See #1 again.

Replacing a GFCI is not overly complicated. If you can change out a normal receptacle, you can replace a GFCI. Make sure the power is OFF. Label the wires before disconnecting them from the existing GFCI. A couple of pictures can be handy too. Replace the wires onto the same terminals of the new GFCI, incoming power on LINE terminals, any outgoing wires (if they are used in your setup) to the LOAD terminals. Reassemble. Power up. Enjoy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.