Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Autofill and overflow DIY

1. Back To Top    #1

Autofill and overflow DIY

Hi Guys
    I have two leaking skimmer boxes. One in each corner of a rectangular pool. I have good underground
    access to both skimmer boxes.

As a DIY project I would like to install an autofill and an overflow. I thought I could use the existing
    skimmer boxes for this. One for the autofill and one for the overflow and install a new skimmer box about
    half way down one of the long sides of the pool.

I can see the benefits for both an autofill and an overflow but is my thinking wrong on this project?
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    I can see the benefits for both an autofill and an overflow but is my thinking wrong on this project?
    That's a good question and I think the answer depends on your personal desires.

Many pool owners on this forum are totally automated with every imaginable feature being simply a function of programming a remote or pushing a button. Others, (me among them) perform most all functions manually.

My thinking is that every mechanical or electronic device WILL break in time....perhaps causing more problems than the convenience they initially provided. Others think, "So what? I'll fix it if it breaks". IMHO, that's just as valid as my thoughts.

So, autofills are nice but can malfunction. An overflow feature makes sense but pumping to waste can do the same thing....you have to decide the cost/benefit ratio (to you) for all the features available and decide if they're suitable for your particular needs/wants.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School