Reducing CYA by draining my vinyl inground pool?

Jun 1, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
So I am reading the only way to reduce my CYA levels (150) is to remove water. So today I started pumping out the water from the pool and came inside to read a bit. I was going to remove all the water down to the shallow end then refill but got frightened when I read that removing too much water can destroy the liner do to hydrostatic pressure. I removed the water to about a foot under the skimmer and am now refilling.

If I can't get the CYA out of the water by draining it, how would one do such a thing?

Butterfly said:
On the upside today I learned that a kink in your backwash hose creates one heck of a water balloon. My neighbor said it sounded like a gunshot..
holy cow! :eek:

The only other option to reduce the CYA is RO, if it is in your area. Don't see your location in your profile.

Not sure what RO is but I live in Columbus, Ohio. This is our first house/first pool so this is a learning experience for me.

Well, okay Ohio. I don't think the RO (Reverse Osmosis) treatment is available there.
So, your only option seems to be the "water dance", aka, drain some, refill some, test; drain some, refill some, test.........

welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.