what kind of test strips should I get?

May 30, 2011
Missouri
I have to give my boss a list of supplies I need for the community pool. The test strips we have only test the ph, fc, alk, and cya

they are really inaccurate and have a different outcome when i use multiple ones at the same time.

If you want to test the pool accurately then you will not be able to do that with strips. What you need is a drop based kit, such as the TF 100 or the Taylor k2006. Check your local regulations to see what the required chemical levels for public pools are for your area.

None. Get a drop test kit.

Whoever operates that pool is liable. If someone gets pinkeye, a urinary tract infection, anything at all, really, and they feel like suing, I'm sure a lawyer would have no problem convincing a jury that there was negligence involved.

The Center for Disease Control has recommendations that should be the minimum a community pool should follow; most states or counties have tougher ones. Just as a for-instance: someone has diarrhea in the pool. They say
Raise the free chlorine concentration to 20 ppm and maintain pH 7.5 or less and a temperature at 77°F (25°C) or higher. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for at least 12.75 hours to achieve the CT inactivation value of 15,300. Crypto CT inactivation values are based on killing 99.9% of Crypto. This level of Crypto inactivation cannot be reached in the presence of 50 ppm chlorine stabilizer, even after 24 hours at 40 ppm free chlorine, pH 6.5, and a temperature of 77°F (25°C). Extrapolation of these data suggest it would take approximately 30 hours to kill 99.9% of Crypto in the presence of 50 ppm or less cyanuric acid, 40 ppm free chlorine, pH 6.5, and a temperature of 77°F (25°C) or higher.
emphasis added.

How are you going to read 20 ppm accurately on a test strip? And just how accurate is that CYA reading? :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.