Raising Calcium Hardness w/ Cal.Hypo.?

May 27, 2011
S.E. Mass.
Hi,
If I add just calcium hypochlorite to adjust my chlorine for awhile how much actual calcium does 1 lb. of Cal. Hypo. add to the water?
I am going to use BBB but while my CH is low I thought I'd use up some Cal. Hypo. that I had left over.
My calcium is low 140....and CYA is low...20....working on these slowly.
Last test done with TF-100...

CHL 4.0
CC 0.0
TC 4.0
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 140
Temp 70
CYA 15-20
Thanks guys,
Paul

You can use the Pool Calculator to answer questions like this one. See the Effects of adding chemicals section near the bottom. With cal-hypo, for every 10 ppm of chlorine you add, you add about 7 ppm of calcium. Exactly how much calcium you add depends somewhat on the strength of the cal-hypo, which comes in several different concentrations.

Jason,
Thankyou, I had not even noticed that calculator at the bottom ...
So, if I use a case,(24), 1 lb bags of 65% calcium hypochlorite it will raise the CH 65PPM...!
Wow, I had no idea these chemicals had such long term effects on water chemistry..
How many other people have any Idea of what the pool store sells you is actually doing to your water...wow.
Thanks again,
Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.