Repairing Diving Board Base

cm82

Jun 4, 2011
Hi,

I bought our house in the winter and now that we're opening the pool we found an issue with the diving board base. It looks like the holes where the screws go have seen a lot of rotting and I am nervous about installing the diving board. You can see the issue in the attached picture. I've talked with the previous owner and he said it isn't an issue as he used very large washers. I also contacted someone about getting it repaired and he also talked about 'fixing it with custom washers'. Should I simply install the large washers or is there something I should do to repair it?

Thanks for all your advice,

Craig

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 103
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 101
Is this base fiberglass over a wood core? What does the bottom look like? Is it enclosed in fiberglass too? If so, I'm thinking boat repair shop. If the core is gone, there's dang little strength in the glass itself. Water damage to enclosed wood is like an iceberg....you can only see 10% of it.

I've repaired and replaced many boat transom's and the only proper way is to remove and replace core/substrate. Seeing 10% is problably the least of the damage. For peace of mind, a new one vs repair, may not be much off imho.

woodyp said:
Is this base fiberglass over a wood core? What does the bottom look like? Is it enclosed in fiberglass too? If so, I'm thinking boat repair shop. If the core is gone, there's dang little strength in the glass itself. Water damage to enclosed wood is like an iceberg....you can only see 10% of it.

I think it is wood with a fiberglass covering. So there's nothing I can do to fix this? Do you know how much a repair like this would cost?

Craig

Did you ever find a way to replace the wood in the board? I just recently bought a house as well with a board that is dropping a bit of wood in the area where the pressure is heavy. I'd love to just replace the wood core vs. buy a new $800 board. Let me know any more insight you might have! Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.