Keeping a cast dry?

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
Does anybody know how to keep an arm cast dry while swimming? My 2 year old broke his arm a couple weeks ago and hates it when we tell him he can't go swimming :cry: We tried garbage bags and duct tape, but it leaked after only a few minutes. We asked the doctor about waterproof casts, but they didn't have them.

Good morning,

We used a thing purchased from a medical specialty supply place that slipped over the arm and then a pump was used to remove all the air. It was very tight, and it dd seem to keep my daughter's cast dry through several days of swimming. However, the last time we used it, water did get inside somehow. Not sure if I failed to get it airtight to start with or if my little one pulled at it, but the cast had to come off. Fortunately it was supposed to come off soon anyway, so the doc did not replace it.

The thing we used was very hard to get on and off. Hope you figure something out. It sure is hard to keep the little ones out of the water.

Cheryl
Kenton, TN
21200AG sand filter

As an ER RN, I'm gonna just say that this is one of those times when you are just going to have to be the parent, get tough, and say no. There isn't anything that is watertight for this purpose. It's simple to put a trash bag over it in the bathtub for the purpose of taking a bath, but for swimming, there is nothing and it is a flat out no-no to swim with a cast. Went through the same thing with my daughter when she was 3 and my stance was that sometimes, you have to do things that you don't want to do as this is life.

Lershac said:
Concrete cast? Couple o sticks of rebar in there for reinforcement? Develop good shoulder muscles too from lugging it around!

Please don't do this

Remind me to not seek help from you in times of illness or injury.
:shock: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
257WbyMag said:
Remind me to not seek help from you in times of illness or injury.
:shock: :mrgreen:

My most frequent admonitions are "walk it off" and "rub some dirt in it!"

I did take extra special care with a hydroblast injury I recently sustained while pressurewashing after the dig tho. Those can be nasty. Shoulda worn proper clothing no matter how hot it was.

My son has about 2 weeks to go before he gets the cast off. We try to keep him busy with other things and not thinking about the pool :cry: Our power was out today for a few hours, and all I wanted to do was just jump in the pool to cool off, but thanks to the broken arm, I had to fire up the generator(fuel prices really hurt my wallet :grrrr: )to run the air conditioning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.