Question about CC's....

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
I smelled chlorine in my pool Saturday night. I know that is not normal. So I tested it Sunday morning withy my TF kit. Got FC of 11.5 and CC of 1.5. I have never had any CC. I use the SWCG and no one has been swimming in about 2 weeks, we turned off the heat pump. I check levels once a week.

I put my cell on superchlorinate, can't convince hubby to use bleach instead yet. This morning I am at FC 16.5, CC 0, with about 6 hours of superchlorinate left. We have had about an inch of rain last week and my pump was out for about 12 hours, other than that I run it 24/7. With no one swimming what would have caused the CC's? Could it have been the rain and pump being off for 12 hours? We are going to close it with a hard safety cover this week and I wanted to make sure that water is right before doing it.

Any ideas? I am very new to this, the pool has only been done since the first of September.

sarah's5girls1boy said:
We have had about an inch of rain last week and my pump was out for about 12 hours, other than that I run it 24/7. With no one swimming what would have caused the CC's? Could it have been the rain and pump being off for 12 hours?

CC's are produced when the FC reacts with organic wastes. These can come from dead leaves, bugs, etc., in your pool, not just from sweat, body oils, etc. Rain MAY have had something to do with it, but that usually affects your pH, not the CC's.

Jules answered well :!:

Just tell hubby the difference in cost between a new SWCG cell and a few gallons of bleach - he'll be dragging you to the store to buy bleach :lol: Honestly, just inform him that bleach is the exact!! same thing as what your SWCG is making and bleach is made the same! way (clorox just has much bigger cells :wink: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.