SlimeBag for 1/10 of the price, yes you can!

I think some folks unhook the retun hose, attach the slime bag over the end of the hose, then drape the hose w/bag over the side of the pool for easier on and off. To keep it from "leaking" or losing any fine sediment when it is bumped or moved, they slip a garbage over it before removing from the pool. Keep searching and googling here (search box, lower left on th page) and im sure you will come up with some more ideas.

Good luck. :)

Thanks, I had tried draping the slime bag over the side of the pool but had to use a clothes hanger to keep the hose from falling off the pool & the hanger started to scratch the pool ledges. But, you've given me the great idea of putting some kind of plastic around the hanger or attaching the hose to the pool some other way. Putting a garbage bag around the bag when I remove it will also likely help prevent debris reflow into the pool. Thanks so much for the suggestions! Can't figure out to add an emoticon to this post so I'll do it the old-fashioned way, :).

You can try a bungee cord, I did that with mine, attached it to the ladder. Good luck

Btw, hit full editor at the bottom of the box when you type a reply and the smiliey faces pop up on the left. Then clck on whichever one you want :cool: ....waiting for the sun to come out...

slime bag housing canisters

Has anybody tried any of the slime bags that cleanerpools sells, which fit into filters housings that attach to the pool filtering hoses/pipes?

They look like they'd give the benefits of a slime bag without the hassle or moving a heavy full slime bag. Still, the cost of the housings seems very high - wonder if others are familiar with these. Also, wonder if any cheaper housings would accommodate the slime bags.

MoreSparkle said:
I think some folks unhook the retun hose, attach the slime bag over the end of the hose, then drape the hose w/bag over the side of the pool for easier on and off. To keep it from "leaking" or losing any fine sediment when it is bumped or moved, they slip a garbage over it before removing from the pool. Keep searching and googling here (search box, lower left on th page) and im sure you will come up with some more ideas.

Good luck. :)

If you put a garbage bag around it before removing it from the pool, aren't you going to end up with a garbage bag full of water? And if it's large enough to hold the filter bag, there could be several gallons of water in there - maybe 50+ lbs of weight. Do you haul that giant balloon out of the pool and discard the water? Sounds like a back injury waiting to happen. Maybe I'm not picturing the process right? :?

So I purchased 3 of these 1 micro bags to try and get some of the dirt out of the pool. They managed to collect quite a bit, but stuff was still blowing like crazy right through the 1 Micron Bag. WHAT kind of MAGIC DUST to I have in my pool that would blow right trough a 1 Micron Filter Bag....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,
Your idea is very good and I have followed suit.

I picked up two 5 mic bottleneck bags from McMaster-Carr. But I find that when the pump is running the bags accumulate a lot of air!
Without the bags attached I never see bubbles from the returns (beyond ten to fifteen seconds after startup).
I know there's air as I see a near constant stream of bubbles coming from the (wide-end) corners.
(That there are bubbles is a flaw in the seaming of the bags and McMaster-Carr replaced them both. It is a good company.)
But even if there were no bubbles I'd suspect the same thing as the bag "tries" to rise to the surface. Fortunately I have the 18" long ones so they never reach.
(I use a 1-1/2" male to 2" female adapter to attach the bag, and later added a 12" long internal pipe to keep [most of] the bag from rising.)

Do you see anything like this?

I have been a huge advocate of Slimebags for 4 years now. I have sewn two of my polishing bags back together, as the stiches tend to dry-rot over the winter. Glad to know I can replace these wonders for less than $6.

I use a gray pvc 1 1/2" threaded fitting with the hose barbs on the end that I purchased from Lowe's for $5. With a hose clamp, it works great!

Anyone think this would work? connect some of the biodiesel bags to a garden house and connect the other end to my submersible sump pump and put the pump on one side of the pool and stretch the hose/bag to the other. Want the pump to pull dirty water instead of the cleaner water. My water is just hazy and can't get it to get clear so was looking up slime bags but don't really take apart my plumbing to make it work. figured if you can put them on a return can I just throw it in the water with sump pump for a few hours where it would be easy to retrieve?

cherylt327,

Sure it will probably help but if you have a sand filter, you might want to try adding a little DE to it the help get the small stuff. I know it really made a big difference in my pool after a SLAM. You don't have any info in you sig. so it is a bit hard to tell if you have a cart. filter of sand.

What was your OCLT?

Have you tryed a SLAM yet to clear the water first?

Dear WilAndAaron:
Thanks much for your suggestion and the referral of Duda Diesel. I was looking for a filter bag vendor and unable to find one. These guys were great, and I ordered 5 of their Polyester bags today.

I have lots of dust from the Calcium Hypo-chloride I used to shock my pool when my Cyanuric Acid levels were out of control. I've since filtered the water and have gone back to liquid chlorine.

I've jerry rigged an old sump pump (designed to remove water from sunken boats), so I could attach my vacuum hose to the suction, and needed a good filter bag for the output. Pantyhose and Cheese Cloth didn't get it. $100 for the largest Slime Bag was way more than I wanted to pay. $6 for a 1 micron filter bag was an easy decision.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, and for the folks that run this forum. Even though this post was from 2011, it was very helpful today, in 2016.

I appreciate all your help. This problem is getting serious as my wife has a new bikini she wants to model, and I need a clean pool first. :)

Be well everyone.

I realize that the OP is from 5 years ago. But I recently got an order of bags from McMaster. They now have bags that go down to 1 micron. I picked up part numbers
5162K117 and 3520T27. The first one is 8" x 32" @ 1micron. The other one is 24" @5 micron with a skinny little tie-on neck. These things are pretty ridiculous in size. They do work very well. I had a lot of silt from construction nearby kicking up dust. I had repeatedly gone through the process of vacuuming the pool it and watching a big cloud shoot right back out of the return.

So I went ahead and layered the bags. A 5 micron bag inside a 1 micron bag and then another 1 micron bag around that. The idea being that at least a small portion of the 1 micron stuff will slip through a 1 micron bag. And then you dont get another opportunity to filter that spec of dirt until the pump sucks it up. So By using 3 bags, you have 3 chances to catch each piece of dirt before it recirculates. The triple layer bag still costs less than half of a slime bag of the same size would have been.

I am SO grateful to have found this post (this site is the BEST) and for your sharing this!!! I've had a severe dead algae issue for past 3 seasons (by end of last summer I'd reached that point of hysteria-laughter-breakdown like Tom Hanks in Money Pit when bathtub falls thru floor -- every bizzare problem that could happen to perpetuate the problem -- happened - almost like I'd offended a real gypsy who cast a genuine bona fide curse on me/my pool) and I am determined to fully resolve it this year. These filters will play a key role. I'll let you know what happens - but want to extend a pre - thank you for arming me w/ HOPE and a plan that I can AFFORD!
($60 for 1 filter kind of defines "Slimebag" - and doesn't even include the necessary adapter - capitalism is fine but . . . this is a bit of an extreme -- not ALL pool owners are part of the 1% . . . ok maybe I'm exaggerating) ;) !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.