Backwash issue

mattk

Jun 3, 2011
Morton, IL
At the end of last year a construction crew was digging up our sidewalk and accidentally broke our backwash pipe that was going into the storm sewer. The city came out and told us that they could not reconnect it due to EPA regulations. I called a plumber and it was going to cost several thousands $ to have the pipe re-routed to the waste sewer. I called our pool guy and he suggested that we connect the backwash to an inground sprinkler system. On the first attempt I connected one sprikler at the point the construction guys broke the pipe. The backwash pipe coming out of the sand filter immediately came apart and start spraying water every where. I then extended the pipe another 50 feet and added 3 more sprinklers. The pipe comes apart on occasion, but the biggest concern is that when I run the backwash, the pressure spikes to 30 psi and nothing appears to be happening in the site glass. I let the pipe "blow" off the filter and could immediately see results in the site glass. I called the pool guy back and he said as long as the sprinklers are working the filter is backwashing. I don't buy it. I have a couple questions...

1. Am I wrong?
2. Does anyone know how many sprinklers (approximately) I would have to connect for a 1.4 horsepower pump?
2. Is there a better way to do this?

To get a good backwash, you need about 15 gpm per square foot of filter surface area. The sprinklers are causing too much resistance. The pressure when backwashing should be less than 10 psi.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.