Salt system/cell failure

Jun 3, 2011
Pro-matic ESC 24 salt chlorinator. Two red lights on the control box. My pool engineer says that the salt system is defective because I turned off the system during the winter season but did not bypass the cell so pool water continued top flow through it. Is this correct ? He also said that I should not be supplementing the chlorine in the pool when it is low due to sudden bather load etc with sodium hypochlorite. "A salt system does not need additional chlorine".

Ralph

keenwilk said:
Pro-matic ESC 24 salt chlorinator. Two red lights on the control box. My pool engineer says that the salt system is defective because I turned off the system during the winter season but did not bypass the cell so pool water continued top flow through it. Is this correct ? He also said that I should not be supplementing the chlorine in the pool when it is low due to sudden bather load etc with sodium hypochlorite. "A salt system does not need additional chlorine".

Ralph

If he says that (about the extra chlorine), I would use the term 'pool engineer' very loosely...

There is nothing wrong with leaving the cell in place when the control unit is off. Likewise, as rcy already pointed out, there are lots of reasons to supplement the chlorine produced by the SWG manually, though if you are doing so constantly that suggests something is wrong.

Thanks rcy but would you please qualify your comment. I'm after information.

Ralph

Ralph[/quote]

If he says that (about the extra chlorine), I would use the term 'pool engineer' very loosely...[/quote]

JasonLion said:
There is nothing wrong with leaving the cell in place when the control unit is off. Likewise, as rcy already pointed out, there are lots of reasons to supplement the chlorine produced by the SWG manually, though if you are doing so constantly that suggests something is wrong.

No. I'm not supplementing constantly. I just want to make an instant adjustment without playing catch up with the control dial. Could you list the reasons for me ?

The bottom line is that there is something wrong with your SWCG. I hope you are successful in either repairing or replacing it. How long have you had it and the pool? Giving us information on your pool and equipment is helpful.

As for adding bleach when the demand rises--there's no problem with that.

Do you have a very good test kit? Do you do your own testing?

It seems your pool guy isn't very helpful or knowledgeable (as per his comment about the bleach and your writing here instead of him finding the problem with the SWCG); I hope you find the info you need. Do you have a manual for it, or can you find it online?

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.