New Pool Chemistry

Mar 26, 2011
Hi, we just built a pool this year and need some advice as to properly maintaining the chemistry. Our PH runs high, possibly 8.2 or above what the kits register. Here are our most recent numbers:

FC: 1
PH: 8.2 (or higher)
TA: 270
CYA: 60

Our pool is around 28,000 gal with a WetEdge Satin finish. It has only been up and running around 6 weeks. I have read some places that this type of finish will push up the PH for the first year or so. Is the high PH due to the finish and something we just need to live with for the first year, or is something else out of whack? We can keep it in below 7.8 by adding 1/2 - 3/4 gal of acid every day, but that seems like a lot of acid to be dumping into the pool. Not to mention expensive...

Any thoughts? We are new to this pool business, and this forum has been a wealth of information for us!

How did you get those results? We also need to know the CH.

In a new plaster pool your pH will rise for about a year after installation. You should read the Pool School article on new plaster startup. With a TA of 270 you should a use muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.0 or so every time it gets to 7.8. That will control your pH and lower your TA over time.

(Mostly the same as Bama.)

With new plaster you need to keep the PH down by adding acid. You are also seeing the PH go up rapidly because the TA is so high, which probably has more to do with it than the fresh plaster at this point. Ideally you want to keep the PH under 8.0 at all time. I suggest lowering the PH to 7.2 every day until the TA level comes down significantly.

Your FC level is also too low for your CYA level. With CYA around 60 you want to keep FC between 5 and 9 and never below 5.

Ok, we have been diligently dumping acid in the pool daily and seem to have the PH in check (below 7.8) and the TA is coming down. Testing today yielded the following numbers.
FC - 5
TC - 5
PH - 7.5
TA - 170
CYA - 60
CH - 120

I am using the Leslie's test kit from the Test Kit review. Also had the local pool store check the water with pretty much the same results. Their advice was similar to what is mentioned above. Regarding the CH, both the builder and the pool store said not to do anything about the low CH for at least 90 days. After that I will start doing something to bring the CH up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.