Close to Choosing Builder, Equipment, Options, etc. Help!!!

Jun 3, 2011
Greetings and thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I've heard so many different things from builders about what the best options are for my planned pool/spa. The two finalists are reputable companies here in Henderson, NV just outside of Vegas. Neither have probs with the BBB. I'd like responses only from pool owners and nothing from builders or vendors please.

1) One builder suggests an Ozone purification system for a discounted price of $1295 (down from $1995) and says it will easily make up for the added cost by reducing the cost of how much chlorine I'll need. Does anyone have real experience with this and if so what have you learned?

2) I'm leaning towards adding the in-floor cleaning system for $3450, especially b/c it will keep the spa clean without needing to vacuum. Pros and cons other than cost?

3) I could get a Smartbrite surface or pay an additional $1295 for "Gemstone Pebble Beach". Water color is very important to me aesthetically. Any ideas?

4) Does anyone have any experience with the "Jazz Light" interior pool lighting product?

5) Finally, by using some of these product names, I've given away that "Blue Haven Pools" is one of the finalists. Can anyone tell me any firsthand experience either they or someone they trust has has with this builder?

Here's some screen shots of design. Suggestions on improvements are welcome. Thanks again!
[attachment=2:33r0kn5n]Pic 1.JPG[/attachment:33r0kn5n]
[attachment=1:33r0kn5n]Pic 2.JPG[/attachment:33r0kn5n]
[attachment=0:33r0kn5n]Pic 3.JPG[/attachment:33r0kn5n]

Attachments

• Pic 1.JPG
    Pic 1.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Pic 2.JPG
    Pic 2.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Pic 3.JPG
    Pic 3.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 241
Re: Close to Choosing Builder, Equipment, Options, etc. Help

Welcome to TFP!

1) Skip the ozone system. Ozone does hardly anything for an outdoor residential pool.
2) In floor systems tend to require maintenance, which adds up in $. If you have a lot of blown in dust they are amazing, but otherwise I would avoid them.
3) That is really an aesthetic/personal decision.
4 & 5) Don't know.

1. I'd also skip the ozone system but look into a saltwater system instead.
2. Remember that you are out in the desert with lots of dust. However, for some weird reason, I'm at peace with myself and the world while I'm vacuuming my pool. So I probably won't get one on my next pool.
3. That's totally up to you. See if you can find some existing pools with the surfaces you're looking at and go visit them!
4. Changing color. Cool! Sorry, no experience with.
5. Sorry... Don't know.

I'm avoiding the saltwater system because I hear a lot of things about it being corrosive to the surfaces and the system. I even contacted a couple of pool servicing companies who told me to skip the ozone and the in floor system. But of course those are two add ons that if they work as advertised, would make it much less likely that I'd hire anyone to do my pool service. So they could be conditioned to respond like that.

Does anyone know of any unbiased resources I could refer to for more research?

Seriously, this place is about as unbiased as you can get. No one here has any interest, monetary or otherwise, in your pool. I've seen people come here, ask questions and then didn't get the answer they were looking for, got upset and eventually disappeared. I've also seen lots of people come here, ask questions did exactly (or close to) what the answers were and have never been steered in the wrong direction! Having been around here for a couple years, I can definitely say there are some absolute pool genius' here!

There's tons and tons of information here. I can read for hours! Don't forget at the bottom of every page is a Google Search button for this site. It does a better job of searching than the built in one.

There are lots of places on the internet that have resources on pools, but they all seem to me to be attached to a pool service company, or somebody selling something.

Have you thought of getting a robot cleaner instead of your infloor system? You could get an amazing one for that money and it would probably do a better job. With your pool being in an enclosed yard you'll probably not get too much dust.
The ozone is not much use in a domestic pool, saltwater would be much better for you. I've never noticed salt issues in pool that I've worked with but I have read here that there is debate about salt with soft limestone flags in hot dry areas. Nothing conclusive in my oppinion though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.