more questions about my filter, please?

Aug 9, 2010
I'm not sure if my filter in functioning properly or not, b/c this is the first time using it and I'm simply not experienced. So, here is what I have done so far: READ a LOT about cleaning up your swamp, how/when to shock, pulled my filter apart and cleaned in auto dish det. and then M.A., hooked it back up with no leaks, shocked scrubbed walls and bottom of pool. It is holding at shock level, so I think I have killed all of the algae, but the question about the pump is coming back to me. Yesterday I was told that I either have too much DE in the filter, or my "water is fairly dirty and you just need to go through several cycles of running the filter and then cleaning it before you catch up with everything in the water." After more reading, I see that this can take a week, which is fine with me but I am having to 'bump' my filter literally every hour or shortly after that to keep the pressure down to where it was when it was first precoated. Should I backwash it more frequently? I am doing this daily and adding only 80% of the DE like the instructions said. Am I following the 'instructions' as I should? and just need to be patient? OR, does it sound like my filter is in need of replacement? I just don't want to go through all of this work to find out that the filter is bad and waste time. This is my first year opening up, and I know what I have read, but have never 'experienced' it or done it hands on, so I'm just unsure of myself. I'll stop rambling, but thank you so much for your help- I truly do appreciate it, and so will my kiddos if we can ever get this pool clean

Thanks again!

What does your water look like? If the water is cloudy/murky then that is all perfectly normal and you just need to keep cleaning the filter as frequently as you can manage until the water clears up.

The water is cloudy, light green. I still can't see the bottom, if that matters. I will continue on the same path then and see what it looks like in the next few days. Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.