Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump basket lid will not come off.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump basket lid will not come off.

The pump is a Hayward Superpump 2 1/2 horsepower 2 speed..

I am trying to clean out the pump basket and I cannot get the lid off. I put it on about three weeks ago using just my hands and a little bit of Leslie's Pool and Spa lube for o-rings ...

Today I tried to remove it using the tool that was provided by my pool builder and it won't budge. I tried a hammer on that tool hit it about twenty times. I was afraid the plastic tool would break.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off ? I am trying not to break it, but my patience isn't that good.
    14,500 inground gunite
    7' connected spa with overflow waterfall
    Goldline salt water chlorine generator
    Hayward 4 cartridge filter
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

2. Back To Top    #2
    Try taking the plug out to release the vacumn
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by No P in my ool
    Try taking the plug out to release the vacumn
    I opened up and let in lots of air. No joy. Anything else ?
    14,500 inground gunite
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

4. Back To Top    #4
    Try more taps with the hammer - but lightly!
    I had a similar problem with the dome top on my filter. I finally had a repair guy out for something else and had him remove the dome. He very patiently tapped on it till it finally came loose a little at a time.
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG

5. Back To Top    #5
    Greetings--

The top on mine occasionally gets stuck. I, too, lubed the O-Ring with lube, thinking that would make it easier. Nope.....
    Tried releasing the vacum, too. Nope

About all I have been able to do is gently tap on it with a hammer and 2x4 until it releases.

I confess-- I broke one top banging on it.
    - Reji

6. Back To Top    #6

I tell you, Leslie's products are something to be question......the problem with Leslie's lube is that it becomes very sticky with high temps, I too, had the same problem removing the top of the filter cover and the basket cover, they will not bulge, and end up breaking the top of the filter cover ($55), I threw away the lube, bought new o rings and now I used a couple of drops of Olive oil, and end of problems....and good bye Leslie's products.
    KATHY

7. Back To Top    #7

Vegas, I'll assume that the lid is round. If this is the case, put the bottom plug back in and restart the pump (you may need to reprime the pump by sticking a rag wrapped garden hose into the skimmer until the pump fills - you may need to open the air valve on the filter to get the pump basket to fill) Once the pump is running again, try turning the lid while the pump is on - it should loosen easily for you. If you need any more help, you know how to find us
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8
    I have seen strap wrenches used in these instances as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

9. Back To Top    #9
    waste is right, the lid (clear part) gets sucked down when turned on and there's less pressure on the ring.
    You can also try to tap it all the way around - meaning - use a 2x4 or something to hook on one of the ridges, tap it a couple of times, move a couple of ridges COUNTERCLOCKWISE and tap again etc - always go COUNTERCLOCKWISE. It WILL eventually come loose.

They really should come with a lid removal tool - pretty much every sediment filter for house plumbing does, and this is really no different!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Thanks guys, I finally got it off last night. I put a breaker bar on the end of the removal tool and just kept pushing at it over and over using only as much pressure as I dared on plastic
    (I hate it when plastic breaks). IT was almost like bouncing due to the give in the removal tool.

I took out the o-ring and rinsed it off in warm water then oiled it with olive oil. We will see if it is better next time.

Again thanks for all the help.
    14,500 inground gunite
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

11. Back To Top    #11
    I could be wrong, but I think silicone lube would be a better choice that olive oil...

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

12. Back To Top    #12

You can try to use Vasaline.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by dschlic1
    You can try to use Vasaline.
    NEVER !!!!!! USE VASALINE ON POOL GASKETS!!!! NOT EVER!

Vasaline gets into the rubber that they're made of and swells them (like your fingers or toes if you soak in the bathtub too long).
    It will quickly wreck the gasket/ o-ring. I don't know what olive oil will do to them but petrolium lubes WILL destroy the material the gasket is made of. I do know that silicon and teflon based lubes are copacetic.

Sorry, dschlic1, but Vasaline is best kept away from the pool equipment! I appreciate that you were trying to help, but Vasoline is a big NO - NO.

Welcome to TFP! I hope you find the answers to all your pool questions here, and continue to contribute - Ted
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    I could be wrong, but I think silicone lube would be a better choice that olive oil...

the Leslie's product in question is a silicone base product, I have it and is a waste of $ IMO, it becomes very tacky under high temps. As per olive oil, it is a natural oil that prevents 2 surfaces separated by a gasket, seal or packing, from becoming stuck together for easy removal...(an old trick from my aviation career) 8)
    KATHY

15. Back To Top    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by minispider
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen

the Leslie's product in question is a silicone base product, I have it and is a waste of $ IMO, it becomes very tacky under high temps. As per olive oil, it is a natural oil that prevents 2 surfaces separated by a gasket, seal or packing, from becoming stuck together for easy removal...(an old trick from my aviation career) 8)
    I was mainly thinking of what happens to excess olive oil in the kitchen... if it drips down the pour spout of the oil bottle, and does not get wiped up, it gets tacky. Not to mention it goes rancid quickly... Like I said, I could be wrong!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

16. Back To Top    #16

minispider Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tell you, Leslie's products are something to be question......the problem with Leslie's lube is that it becomes very sticky with high temps, I too, had the same problem removing the top of the filter cover and the basket cover, they will not bulge, and end up breaking the top of the filter cover ($55), I threw away the lube, bought new o rings and now I used a couple of drops of Olive oil, and end of problems....and good bye Leslie's products.

Thanks for the Leslie info. When I opened my pool last spring, I lubed all of the o-rings to be proactive on wear and tear. Now when I closed the pool, couldn't understand why some of the o-rings were tacky......Leslie's Spa and Pool Lube goes into the trash.
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator