I know most of us do not like the pool store

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
But I think we should thank them. It seems the pool store is what leads people to the site, therefore creating more members.

Alot of first post I read starts off with "At The Pool Store"

Because we all know the pool store will empty your wallet and then people start looking to the internet and find this site.

I know this happend for me.

How did you find the site?

For me I was spending too much money at the pool store and need more information. To google I go and bam find this site.

I found the site because putting 11# of shock still did not get me a FC level. My preferred pool store was 15 min away, and trips there every time I need an answer was inconvenient. I don't agree (now) with the chemicals they push, however the people at the store I used were always extremely knowledgable and never tried to sell me something I didn't need (like phos-free). The same people were there year after year.

That said, I am extremely glad to have found this resource and plan to support it fully.

found the site looking for info about building pools, and now for maintenance (ASlthough my pool is up it still needs some adjustments before I can call it complete! Hopefully Sunday will be the day I can say it is done!!

I was a lucky one that started researching pool maintenance before I had a pool up... Don't know what my search was anymore but up popped this site. I'm so thankful there was enough information here that whatever it was that I searched got me here! So glad to not have been through the frustration of running back and forth to the pool stores.

My search for answers on the net happened last year when my 16' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame went GREEN on me. I started to search for better Intex pumps and the first link I got was to this site with a complaint about how terrible the Intex pumps were. That was all she wrote. I don't even think I could purposely turn my pool green now. I'm addicted to SPARKLYPOOLITIS. :party:

I found this site not knowing much about pools. We bought a home with a pool. I'm a DIYer and enjoy saving money where I can by doing things myself. I learned everything I know from here. Now, I enjoy helping others figure it out and watching the lightbulb turn on so to speak.

ETA: It's not as though I don't like my pool store. I like them fine and I use them for some purchases. I just don't let them talk to me like I am stupid. They know me too and they no better than to try to tell me some bull to try to get me to buy silly stuff. We understand each other and get along fine as is. :mrgreen:

They (The Pool Store) basically told me how proud they were that they were a "retail store" and that's why they wanted to charge me almost 2X the price on a piece of equipment (compared to internet shopping). Well, that one phone call was all it took...I won't shop there.

I have found some great advice here...THANKS!!

257WbyMag said:
... Now, I enjoy helping others figure it out and watching the lightbulb turn on so to speak.

ETA: It's not as though I don't like my pool store. I like them fine and I use them for some purchases. I just don't let them talk to me like I am stupid. They know me too and they know better than to try to tell me some bull to try to get me to buy silly stuff. We understand each other and get along fine as is. :mrgreen:

My thoughts exactly ... once you build a repore with the pool store folks ... and buy something now and again ... they'll respect you as well. Just "politely" disagree with them and challenge them once in a while ... just to get them thinking outside the box !! :hammer: ... like us !! :party:

I found this site after doing some research on pool care after we signed on our home. The PO gave us a phone number to the pool service they used, but being the DIY type and wanting to save some $$$, I decided to look into doing my own pool care. I found a site that I almost believed, and they said to use pucks and algaecide and other stuff :blah: I kept looking and I found this site, and I'm sure glad I did :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.