3 screw are holding me back please help

rsharp

Jun 12, 2010
im installing a new liner and i have three screws that have held me back a day. if anyone has any tips or tricks to remove these suckers please let me know. THANKS A LOT TFP

Attachments

• screw.jpg
    screw.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 206
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 206
Ugh! You may just have to drill those out, and replace them. The second option would be to get 3 short el cheapo screwdrivers and epoxy them to the screws to get them out. Either way you will be buying 3 new stainless steel screws. You also might try a set of needle nose vise grip pliers to grab it around the outside edge and unscrew it that way.

I just had three that looked like that. After several attempts to drill them out I finally used a Dremel tool to cut a slot in the head and used a large flat head screwdriver to remove them. If I'd have known how easy that would have been I'd have done that first.

I got a set of bits from Home Depot (I believe, if not I think that Craftsman/Sears actually came up with them first) that has cutting edges on the bits. I can't think of the name of them, but they weren't expensive at all. They will grab into the head no matter how rounded they are. I have used them for all sorts of heads like you have and they have almost always worked.I never had much luck with drilling and using easy outs but these things work very well. I have used the heck out of them on cars and other mechanical stuff with rusted heads that I stripped trying to get out.
The dremel idea might work but it is hard to see if you will actually have enough room to get the cutter in there without cutting the cover cap also.
We have all been there. Being stainless screws, it is going to be more challenging but with some patience and effort you will get there.

Ever try a hammer-bit? I have one at work, but maybe your local auto parts store would rent you one? They're pretty good in desperate times such as this. If you haven't seen em', they're a ratcheting type of screwdriver that you hit with a hammer. Every time you hit it, the bit turns, and the shock of impact also helps loosen corrosion. I would try it before drilling, but I really hate drilling! Good luck!

Try an Impact Driver like a Ryobi with their 18 volt cordless tools or another brand if you have some cordless tool sets. If it will be removed that is your best bet. It will not slip out out unless it's not coming out. Also, put some liquid wrench on it and let it soak for a while before you try.

BBailey said:
Try an Impact Driver like a Ryobi with their 18 volt cordless tools or another brand if you have some cordless tool sets. If it will be removed that is your best bet. It will not slip out out unless it's not coming out. Also, put some liquid wrench on it and let it soak for a while before you try.

I have the same tool, but this is one the pool wall and it might be too powerful on the pool wall and may damage the wall. I love my impact driver, but not enough to use on my pool...with the screw outs...a regular courdless drill should do the job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.