Hayward 1 1/2 too much for 20' Intex?

jdsapp

May 24, 2011
N. Florida
Newbie here, but I'm hooked on this site and hobby! Started on an Intex 20x4 project a couple weeks ago. Buried half w/ 6 inch drop towards the middle. Framed out my pump house that backs up to the pool w/ a 4x6 glass basketball backboard. Decking is half done. Now for the backbone. I purchased an enormous Hayward 200 series sand filter off of craigslist, and now have found a Hayward 1 1/2hp powerflo, new in box, for $160. Price seems too good to pass up. Is it too much pump, especially for the one suction? I realize energy costs would go up, but wouldn't it have to run much less than the Intex 2500gpm pump? My main concern would be so much suction it could hurt someone. What could make this pump possibly work or should I move on to something smaller? Thanks!

Yes that is way more pump than you need! I don't think there would be a problem with it hurting someone, unless they go around sticking their hands in the skimmer. (I assume you are putting in a skimmer.) The flow around the pool is going to look like a waterpark ride. What model intex pool are you using? The best pump would be a 1 hp 2 speed pump. You could use the 1 1/2 hp pump, but it would be overkill.

It's an Ultra model. Skimmer? It has the factory in-pool bucket that seems ok. Thinking maybe the 1 1/2 would collapse that frail-looking and tiny tube that connects it to the pool wall, though. Another thought, with Intex's "unique" mounts I was leaning towards a Hayward thru-wall skimmer and pvc to pump. If I eventually add solar heat/fountain,etc. would that tame down the eventual riptide the big pump would produce. Honestly, I can't complain about the 2500 gph pump I stole from my sis to replace the stock 1500. It'll bounce water off the opposite wall! But, Intex's connection issues make me want to replace the entire system!

I had a 1 1/2 on my 16' Blue Intex last year and its not that bad, lol. Just think of it as a Chevy Vega with a 454. I'm not sure what kind of hoses they have now on Intex pools, but I had to put some "better" 1 1/4 hoses on that I bought from the pool store.

I purchased the filter/pump because I was leaving out of town for the week when the Intex pump broke, it was the only combo I could find and I knew I was getting a 24' ABG next year. I would much rather have a 1hp 2 speed pump.

I had the same pump on my intex pool last year. It was a little strong for my hoses and I had to end up getting the pool hard plumbed becasue either the hoses collasped or they would pop off. :) Good luck..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.