TFT test kit, is CYA test accurate?

May 27, 2011
S.E. Mass.
Hello all,
I have been studying the BBB method since last fall and I finally got my new TFT testkit today!
Please help me out.
I did the CYA test 3 times to be as accurate as possible with these 61 year old eyes. I even had my son check results with me.
We both came up with about 20 actually less around 10-20.I have an old Bio-Guard CYA testkit which told me around 50+ for CYA.(this is an old kit)
and we also had a Bio-guard pool store check the CYA and they came up with 70..!?..( sorry I can't trust them).
My question and concern is: Is the new TFT test for CYA really accurate?
My other test results were:.Pool just opened the other day..Got some additions to make I know.
CHL,... 2
TA,......100
PH,..... 7.8
CH,..... 110
CYA,.....10-20
Temp,.. 70
Should I believe the new TFT kit? I do not want to end up with High CYA if it's off.?
I really appreciate your help and guidance.

wishing you well, thanks,
Paul

The black dot CYA test is the best one generally available at a reasonable price. It is accurate when used correctly but not extremely precise. That is to say that your actual value should be +-15 from the result you get, assuming you are doing the test correctly.

Some things to keep in mind include: the test was designed to be done in direct sunlight with your back to the sun so your body shades the view tube. And the black dot should be completely gone, so that you can't see any hint of it even after you stare at it for several seconds.

One way to check if you are reading it right is to plug your test results into The Pool Calculator and see how much chlorine it says to add to get to the top of your recommended range. Add that amount, run the pump, and re-test in about an hour. If your CYA reading was accurate then the latest FC measurement should be close to the expected result at the top of the range.

You guys are great.
I will do as you say and please be ready for more questions in time.
Today was an off & on cloudy, cool day and I will be sure to test on a sunny day with my back to the sun also.
All good advice and I thank you all so much.

I will also use the pool calcuator and try that chlorine/cya test you mentioned. Right now I am using up some left over Triclor to add to the CH and CYA levels.

My new testkit is a TF-100

Thankyou,
paul

I know this is an old tread but I was researching CYA (frustrating results today) and I found this... thanks I am ordering it ;)
You could get some CYA Standard Solution to confirm which test kit is giving the right results and also to help you see what it looks like to have the black dot disappear under proper lighting conditions (i.e. you can see what it looks like as you get near the 50 ppm of the standard).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.