Trying to get the water balanced

Jun 20, 2010
Southeast VA
I am new to all this chemistry stuff, but I am determined to get it balanced. I did purchase the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD K-2006 kit.

Here are the readings I got;

CYA 30 ppm
PH 8.0
Calcium Hardness 420 ppm
TA 150 ppm
CC 0.40 ppm
FC 0.35 ppm

I'm thinking I need to add about 15 oz of Muriatic Acid to bring down the TA. I have read where some people suggest to aerate the water. I have spa jets in the steps would that help? What else do I need to do? BTW, you guys have been so helpful! I have directed many of my friends to come to this forum to help them with their pool needs.

zea3 said:
Your pH is also too high. Use The Pool Calculator to determine how much MA you need to bring pH to 7.5, then worry about bring down the TA.

If you are using a SWG for chlorine, then your CYA needs to be at 70 ppm, and your chlorine should be 3-5 ppm at all times. Look here for recommended levelsfor your pool.

Thanks, I was close. It said to add 18 oz of MA. It also said direct sunlight and Aeration can affect the balance as well. Maybe I should turn the spa jets off? It has been very hot here with temps ranging in the middle 90s.

PH needs to come down. FC needs to go up. TA will come down eventually, after many pH adjustments. Running the spa will speed up the process, so keep tabs on pH, like every day until you get used to things.

Check CYA again tomorrow. By the way, most of us mix up the sample, take our reading, pour it back, mix some more, take a reading, and so on until we get the same reading 3X.
If it really is 30, you probably ought to raise it some. You can do it with plain stabilizer or with dichlor shock powder. Pool Calculator can help determine the dosages.

For a while now I have been able to keep the ph balanced. I had to pick up some prescriptions for my dog so I took some water sample to the pool store next to the vet. They tested it and said it was perfect just need to super chlorinate. Their readings were;

Alkalinity 120 ppm
pH 7.6
Calcium Increaser 214
Total chlorine 0.23
Free Chlorine 0
Chlorine Stablizer 50

My Salt meter on the Aqua-rite read 3100

I super chlorinated the pool back on May 24th for 24 hours. How long should I let it run this time, the same amount?

Quick comment - those FC/CC numbers from your first post are not correct with a k-2006 kit. If you used a 10 ml sample, you would multiple by .5. If you used a 25ml sample, multiply by .2. So, your FC might have been 3.5 (if you used 10ml sample and 7 drops). Not possible to get a reading of .35.

I would not recommend mixing between pool stores and your own testing, if you are using the k2006 or the TF100...you'll just confuse yourself in the end.

Pool school tells you to raise FC with liquid chlorine and maintain levels with your SWG. On the other hand if you you'd rather listen to the pool store you'll unnecessarily tax your swg to raise FC.

aa62579 said:
Quick comment - those FC/CC numbers from your first post are not correct with a k-2006 kit. If you used a 10 ml sample, you would multiple by .5. If you used a 25ml sample, multiply by .2. So, your FC might have been 3.5 (if you used 10ml sample and 7 drops). Not possible to get a reading of .35.

That was what the local pool store said. I need to take a new sample and test it myself.

aa62579 said:

I just tested the FC and CC with my Taylor's K-2006. I used the 10 mL mark and followed the directions on the lid. I had to add 2 drops of the R-0871 dropwise until the water changed from pink to colorless.
Then I added 5 drops of R-0003....turned pink then I added R-0871 to change it from pink to colorless again it was 2 drops. So that would be a reading of 1.0 ppm for both FC and CC....right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Malibu07 said:
aa62579 said:

I just tested the FC and CC with my Taylor's K-2006. I used the 10 mL mark and followed the directions on the lid. I had to add 2 drops of the R-0871 dropwise until the water changed from pink to colorless.
Then I added 5 drops of R-0003....turned pink then I added R-0871 to change it from pink to colorless again it was 2 drops. So that would be a reading of 1.0 ppm for both FC and CC....right?

Correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.