Average filter run time?

mdavis

Jul 8, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
I have a 16' x 32' x 8' vinyl pool. The pump has a 1 HP motor. I can't find GPM on the pump, just a model number.

When I opened my pool this year, I superchlorinated it and had the water crystal clear for a few weeks. Then it rained. The water went partly green. I can still see the bottom, but there is a definite green color in the deep end. I have been running the pump about 5 hours per day, while maintaining the chlorine and ph at normal levels. I should mention that the chlorine went to 0 the morning after the rain, and I let it sit till that afternoon when I got home from work.

Since I have been maintaining chlorine and ph after the rain, and still have green water, I am wondering if I am running the filter long enough each day. How long should I run it? Should I superchlorinate again, or just increase my filter run time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now I'm starting to sound like all the rest.......sigh....

Can you post a full set of test results?

The filter won't remove green. Only chlorine will do that, unless the green is copper, which is unlikely as it was clear before and rainwater doesn't add copper. You have the beginnings of an algae bloom. Nip it! Nip it in the bud!
[center:28kpxqdj]
Barney%2520Fife.jpg
[/center:28kpxqdj]
I'm willing to bet big money on it. You need to shock the pool. Shock is a process, not a product, by the way. It's a verb, not a noun. You need to kill algae faster than it can reproduce, and keep at it until you've killed it all. To do so requires a proper test kit, a whole lotta bleach, some patience, and these instructions.

Would love to, but I don't have and can't afford a full test kit at this time. I am following your advice about shocking the pool (again), brushing the pool, and running the filter continuously. I've been here before, so I know I'll get there in a few days. However, my original question still stands. Once I get the algae under control, what should my average daily filter run time be? Would running it longer than I did have prevented the algae in the first place? I have been running it around 4-5 hours per day. Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you for the answers you were able to give based on limited info.

mdavis said:
However, my original question still stands. Once I get the algae under control, what should my average daily filter run time be? Would running it longer than I did have prevented the algae in the first place? I have been running it around 4-5 hours per day. Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you for the answers you were able to give based on limited info.

There is no way for anyone to quote you a "perfect" run time. That is something that you have to experiment with in order to figure out. Ideally, you want the pool water to turn over at least once per day.

As Richard sort of alluded to earlier, filters don't prevent algae. Chlorine does. Algae blooms because of a lack of proper chemistry.

Until you get yourself a decent test kit, I am afraid that you will probably continue to have problems. Unless you know exactly what is going on in your water, you will really just be chasing your tail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.