Pump run time calculation?

Jun 2, 2011
La Crosse, WI
Hello,
I have a 15k gallon pool (16x32x4) and I have always run the pump for 12 hrs a day, and the water is generally clear and pretty maintenance free. But from reading through the forum it seems that i might be running it more than I really need?

How can I calculate pump run time?
I have a Hayward Superpump 1-1/2 HP and a Hayward 300lb sand filter with a 62gpm flow rate. All pipes are 1-1/2 inch with 1 skimmer and 2 returns. I am also using a Hayward Chlorine feeder with 3" tablets for chlorination.

What is your filter pressure and pump height above the water line? I might be able to give you an idea of your flow rate.

BTW, Curve-A of the CEC data shows a flow rate of about 55 GPM for that pump but your flow will probably be higher than that.

19 PSI would put your flow rate at about 42 GPM @ 57' of head. Higher head loss than I was expecting. But still your turnover is only 6 hours so 12 hours would be two turns per day.

Most people find that 1 turn per day is enough although some require less and some require more so trial and error is probably your best bet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.